Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 June 2011
The introduction by John Richardson alone makes it worth buying this book on Manet from the Colour Library. An interesting text for people who are both familiar or not with Manet's work.
Initially though I bought the book to have a small overview of Manet's work in reproduction. The image quality of almost half of the images was disappointing though. Comparing them to his original work or even with reproductions in other books they often turn out to be discolored, dark or blurry.
It didn't cost so much though and luckily there was Richardson's text to make it worth the buy. So price/quality ratio is ok I guess. But for those who are looking for good reproduction I would advice to buy a different book on Manet.
on 31 March 2013
This book was written by John Richardson whom I first came across when I was studying Modern Art at the Open University. His writing is clear and easily understood. The colour plates are excellent, and the book also contains good black and white illustrations with helpful comparisons and notes about other artists. I bought the book because I was visiting the Manet exhibition at the Royal Academy, and because it was written by John Richardson. An excellent guide to Manet, and very good value.
on 25 February 2013
I'm very happy with the picture quality in this book. I have bought it as a reminder, following a visit to the Manet exhibition at the Royal Academy and it contains a fair number (but by no means all) of the pictures on view. For someone who is not heavily into art but enjoys individual artists' exhibitions and wants a simple reference with pictures as a reminder, this book is a snip at the price.
on 7 February 2013
This book presents a good overview of Manet's work but actually it could have been easier to read, which makes it even harder for a non native speaker. Either it is a scientific book or a "casual reader" book but this is something between, not flesh not fish. For me this stands behind a Taschen Book which I usually rate 4 stars.
on 29 September 2012
This book is a very good book published by Phaidon. It has many interesting paintings by Manet and good commentaries on each painting.