on 18 April 2017
good purchase - would use seller again
on 7 November 2010
I am an A level Spanish teacher and this edition has been really useful for my students. They can read the Spanish text, but when they hit a word they do not know they can look across and see the English equivalent. It is so much quicker than searching through a dictionary. They can also check their understanding at the end. There are also useful introductory notes on the characters. This is a book most pupils like, especially the girls
on 3 June 2011
I actually bought another edition but I saw the review by the Spanish teacher so I decided to buy this one instead. It is really good with plenty of commentary and literary criticism as well as background information which is really useful when writing essays. The translation is very helpful as I do not have to look up thousands of words, and the comments at the back explains colloquial and idiomatic language which is of course very helpful to someone learning Spanish as a second language. The themes are very dramatic and somewhat relates to "The Crucible".

The book arrived in good condition, even though the covers are slightly flimsy, in my opinion its the content that is with no doubt the best, and making it very useful aid to A2 Spanish!
on 20 November 2002
I don't really want to write a review on La Casa de Bernarda Alba/The house of Bernarda Alba, but I do want any english speaker studying this book to understand how much of a help it is. It eliminates flicking through the dictionary every five minutes. I only started studying spanish last year and this is the first piece of spanish literature I have read. For anyone who is in the same boat as I am.........I would highly recommend this book!!
on 8 December 2000
I read this play in a mixture of English and Spanish, taking full advantage of the Methuen Spanish/English edition. This was my first Lorca play and, after studying the braceros and latifundistas of Andalucia in the years preceeding the Civil War of 1936, I found I could easily relate to the characters and plot of the play. As a tragedy, this play allows one to enter the tortured soul of Lorca who, it has been said, identifies most with Martirio, the family and society out cast always searching jealously for love. Bernada and her family epitomise the tradition attitudes as regards to the role of women, religion and marriage in Spain during that period. Lorca's last play before his murder by fascist rebels in 1936 is a must for any Spanish student as I was enthralled.
on 27 December 2000
This is a wonderful play, which starts slowly but gathers momentum as it rolls towards a tragic finale. Bernarda Alba is the central character, a matriarch who seeks to repress her daughters in every way possible; however, she can't repress what they feel in their hearts. Each of her five daughters falls in love with the handsome Pepe el Romano, with terrible consequences. The atmosphere is electric, full of the oppressive heat of the summer when it is set, and with that is the gradually increasing tension and the warning signals of what is to come. I strongly recommend it to anyone; it is shrewd in its observations of the behaviour of women.
on 24 March 2013
I've now read 5 different translations of this play and most feel a little self-conscious and "creaky". Jo Clifford's version, although it's not the most recent, works best for me. The dialogue doesn't read like a translation - it's immediate and vibrant. Rona Munro's 2009 adaptation takes things further and moves the action to present-day Glasgow (not totally successfully) and I don't know the most recent version from the Almeida's modern Iranian-set production, but if you want to stay in the original Spanish setting, I would choose this version. There are also some useful introductory notes.
on 9 December 1999
This book is a trajic drama about women in the villages of Spain in the 1930s. It examines the roles of the daughters and goes into their lives. This book was a pleasure to study at A-level!!
on 25 August 2010
If you study Spanish and Spanish culture this book will be an interesting way of learning. It depicts the life of a family in Spain during the Spanish civil war and is quite metaphoric regarding to what life was in Spain in that time.It is such a 'far cry' from the film so I would recommend reading the book before seeing the film. Enjoy!!!!
on 9 December 1999
A must read for any Spanish student intending to study Spanish literature in the future