on 30 November 2016
The British Moths wow loved this book and over the summer borrowed a sheet from our bed and waited till it got dark and got my big LED Lamp and my goodness between moths of all colours and sizes as I never thought we had that many in this country. Thankful I had the book at hand to tell me what we had on the sheet as looking at them I wouldn't had a clue until I open my British Moth Guide Book now my wife and I know what they are and did it over the summer as we identified a lot of different species of moths and some new ones need to see Chris and show him our photo's. Go on buy it for the kids and learn something new and see what comes into your garden.
on 12 September 2011
British Moths and Butterflies was recommended to me by Trust for Nature warden who was using a live trap to assess the volume we have in the south west still and endeavouring to identify them. So many and so varied but with the demise of wild grassed meadows in favour of more intensively farmed land we have seen a decline in many species. This book is a wonderful reference to identification and unlike others pays great attention to the life cycle of the moths and butterflies showing good photographs of the caterpillars and pupae as well as the fully fledged adult. Not only is it packed with excellent images the text is also very informative and well constructed.

This book is in constant use now - if you have any interest in these creatures you need this book.British Moths and Butterflies: A Photographic Guide
on 15 March 2013
I'm a keen butterfly and moth enthusiast, and already have many good reference books to help me identify specimens. Manley's book is a valuable addition because he uses photographs of the insects from life, as you would normally see them, rather than the traditional pictures of them as found in a collection with wings set and pins through them. I bought this for the photos, rather than for the text, but the latter is good, although no better than many other books.
on 14 October 2010
I have used this book to identify which caterpillars moths and butterflies visit my garden. It is easy to do as the pictures are great. I don't have any education in this field and so look them up by size of butterfly/moth or colour of caterpillar. So far no problem. It is also a beautiful book just to thumb through and admire the fantastic designs nature created on them.
on 2 September 2013
I use this along with the concise field guide to moths of GB and Ireland. Having both photographs and illustrations available when you are identifying is very useful. This guide has some really beautiful images. An ideal guide for beginners too as it contains butterflies as well.
on 29 August 2017
Very informative book.
on 11 December 2013
Wonderful book, very informative even down to the tiny moths that normally you can't id also has caterpillars in something that is hard to find in a book, excellent book!
on 11 December 2012
Arrived promptly and is exactly what I wanted as a Christmas present for my husband.Also about £5 cheaper than normal shop price.Good value and packed full of great information.
on 6 May 2015
Great book as it is the second one that I bought for a present. The inside is near to perfect but the soft front paper back cover has a large crease the whole length of it but looking at the £7.00 price tag I can't complain too much compared to what other sellers are charging.
on 26 February 2015
a gift and the recipient thinks its marvellous