on 24 June 2017
Closer is an excellent play about relationships. It starts with Alice and Dan. They crash into each other coincidentally. They met at the hospital and they fall in love. The relationship breaks as the time goes by. The duration of the drama takes four years. At that time they switch the relationship and break up again. The other relationship is about Anna and Larry. Dan introduces Anna to Larry as he plays her in the chat room. It is as funny as that. It is about sex and the loss of romance. Love is superficial. No one wants to find the real feelings in their relationships. In the end Alice dies. They find that she has made herself up because her name was Jane. You never know the other person because it is a game and nothing more. After rereading it you can see how the late '90s plays are different from the plays today. It is the beginning of what you can see in the weekly telly series today.
on 24 November 2006
I am an Actor. I have played Dan and Larry previously and I am currently directing this play!

Closer is an amzingly succicnt, accurate and realistic play. It was billy connoly who said "A man needs to have sex before He'll say 'I love you', a women needs to hear 'I love you' before she'll have sex! At somepoint, somewhere, one of them must lie". Closer shows us those lies.

Dan, Larry, Anna and Alice's lives are connected in ways none of them could comprehend. The decisions they make when they are young and juvinile come back to haunt them later as they slowly descend into lives of deciet and lies.

I love this play, and even if you are not going to perform it, read it... it'll make you think about your own relationships and possibly influence you for the better!
on 25 October 2001
Just saw this one at the Rep in Birmingham and it took me straight back to the worst moment of my life. As the teenagers bussed in for the day giggled at the dirty words I sat agog in shock. Marber gets to the point in direct language though structurally it is subtle, not allowing the tension, sexual or otherwise let up for a second. Looking forward to reading Dealer's Choice and Howard Katz
on 15 May 2013
The play itself is great, and the substantial notes are interesting. But...the quality of the binding is terrible. I've just directed the play, and chose this edition for my cast to all get hold of. By a couple of weeks into rehearsals,my copy started to fall apart apart and the spine split. All of my cast had the same problem.

So, if you want to read the play and the notes, you can't go far wrong with this book. But if you are thinking about using this edition in the rehearsal room, pick up a different edition.
on 9 June 2000
I read "closer" after reading Dealer's Choice (also Marber) both plays are accessible, very readable and addictive. I have no doubt that you will instantly love the characters and the twists and turns in the plot.
on 31 March 2014
I wasn't very impressed by the film I must say. Nonetheless I bought this as I'm going to start an acting course where we have to read this book to play some of the scenes.
Loved it though. Very deep and dark at the same time. Quite violent language at some parts, but worth a read. Can't wait to play one of the characters in my course!
on 31 March 2010
I am a big fan of this play. The dialogue is contemporary and although the language and themes are risque it is still an interesting insight into modern relationships.
on 1 February 2014
Both filled with humour and charm, Marber delivers again and leaves no room for disappointment. Joy to read, would buy again without hesitation.
on 10 June 2015
Quite stylised with the characters appearing to act on every thought without considering the consequences. I found it unsettling.
on 9 September 2016