on 3 April 2010
This is a good book to read in an evening to learn the basics of road bike maintenance, and the lay-flat binding is great. My problem was that, in actually using it to do jobs on my bike, I too often found that it was missing a crucial level of detail for a novice mechanic such as myself. For most jobs, I ended up going to the Park Tools website and downloading their repair/maintenance guides which are much more detailed. I have since bought the 3rd edition of Zinn and the Art of Road Bicycle Maintenance, which is a much bigger and better book. The one area where this book is better than Zinn is that this book uses photos instead of diagrams, but in all other respects Zinn is superior (and, published in 2009, bang up to date).
on 15 May 2009
This is probably essential material for any serious biker to have on his/her shelf. If you're a little shy of bike maintenance don't be put off by the technical jargon (there is some) just look at the piccys instead. A well planned and informative book. Keep it by the bedside in case you wake up wondering or worrying about how to go about adjusting your front mech!.
on 9 August 2012
I was given this book by a neighbour (he'd in turn been given it by a friend for his birthday, but he only rides classic bikes, and this book is really for modern road bikes), and it was perfect timing, my frame had cracked, and I was looking to completely rebuild my bike.

Everything (pretty much) went into the detail I needed - the photos are large and clear, and the copy explains the terms and phrases you might not hae heard before.

A few bits of the book 'skip' some of the things beginners might still have trouble with (like me) - I still hate sorting out my rear gears, and always forget which screw does what. Sadly this book just glossed over setting the gears - I looked on youtube and followed directions there.

Aside from that this book has had me doing things I'd never have tackled before, completely striping my old bike, and rebuilding on a new frame, moving the forks over etc, and putting new bearings in my wheels.

I can tell I'll be using this book for a long time to come.

It's printed on good paper, that allows you to sponge off oily finger marks at a later date, and the spiral bound spine means it lays flat for easy reading while you have your hands full.

If you are getting this book also invest in a proper bike tool kit - you'll need more than just some allen keys and spanners to follow much of what is going on in here. That said you can get a cheap chinese made kit on ebay or from amazon from around £30 inc post - this will allow you to do pretty much every thing you read about in here.
on 28 September 2011
Got this book when I purchased my new bike,purchased seperate parts from various outlets
although most components come with instruction booklets the pictures in this book helped
a good bit.
on 23 October 2014
easy to follow steps, and a wired spine means you can open the page without creasing the book
on 11 March 2015
As described and arrived in a timely fashion.
on 24 March 2013
A very useful journal to be able to refer to when doing your own bike maintenance.It also sits well on the bookshelf and it keeps you abreast of all the latest techniques.