Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 May 2013
I personally really enjoyed this play, and read it for one of my modules at university. However, I was very much in the minority, as a number of other students found its moral ambiguity in terms of Mrs Warren's profession and businesses problematic. I personally think that considering it was written in the 1890s it is very progressive in terms of showing some of the harsh realities women had to face if they failed to make a successful marriage and did not have much money. I would definitely recommend it but it is not an easy read. This particular edition also includes Shaw's apology in which he tries to justify why he wrote it. I personally think it's depressing that an author should have to apologise for writing something that has literary merit but goes against the grain.
on 30 January 2015
I thought this was a very entertaining book, which made some good points with regard to the position of women in the 19th century and the solutions available to them. It is a pity that, with regard to Mrs Warren's profession, even now the double standard is hoist as high as it was then.
on 4 November 2015
Downloaded rather than bought the play for a local play reading group. Strangely this version was different to the book form of the play - sentences missed out or added. Can't quite understand why the words of a play would be altered. It made for difficulty when reading out aloud.
on 15 July 2015
The book was fine but took so long to arrive that I had already been to the play. Very disappointing
on 22 October 2014
great study aid for my daughter
on 12 August 2013
Excellent Product. Thank You.
on 25 February 2014
The book arrived really fast and it was in perfect condition. It's a bit boring, but I had to read it for one of my exams!
on 10 March 2015
I never read this book but I been told that's is a good one .
on 7 October 2014