Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 June 2013
I've been mountain biking for over 20 years, have good skills and reasonable fitness levels. I used to (in my younger days) run half marathons and fell run, so I'm not a novice and I know about different training techniques such as fartlec and speed sessions, heart rate monitors etc

What I have never done is applied these to riding. If your someone who gets out twice a week and the occasional trail center days, and want to take your riding to the next level, then this is for you.
I had plateaued and wanted to undertake my local MTB races in under 3 hours, that's my goal.

Ive seen some reviews which say this is aimed at the beginner, and it is great for someone who wants to start the sport, but don't dismiss that. Some of the most basic info sections (such as pedaling) has some real revelations for me, no really! Pushing hard on ever 3rd or 5th stroke when your legs are gone, really helps get up that big climb. Or how importance cadence is, in any bike sport.

I've never been to the dark side of lycra clad road bike racing, so reading the different techniques and strategies for other types of racing, including where these skills can cross over to Mountain biking (such as sprinting and hydration strategies) were fascinating.

So if you just want to get up your local big climb in the big ring, be the next Chris Hoy, improve your time trialing or just beat your mates, this is for your.
on 29 June 2010
The book is well written but is definitely aimed at new cyclists.
It tries to cover to much by including so many different types of bikes, if you're a road cyclist you'll just skip by the mountain biking downhill and cross, cyclocross and track sections. It doesn't go into enough detail on subjects, just a brief summary.
Unless you are a beginner I'd pass on it.
on 10 January 2016
Not that good
on 25 May 2009
This book is very easy to follow and though some information maybe basic for more experienced cyclists it is still important none the same . Reccommend to anyone starting out in cycling and has highlighted for me many areas where I can improve .
on 26 December 2007
This really is a step up from authors like Friel or Carmichael for two reasons. Firstly its far better produced with a lot of full colour pictures and diagrams that really add to the message and also because its stuffed with good information on everything about the sport not just the physical training. So you'll find good pages on hand signals, group riding, tactics, time trialling etc. Overall its a far more inspiring and comprehensive look at the subject. Recommended.
on 15 April 2015
A good manual to get some idea of what you should be doing on your bike. Its all about training and nutrition a good read.
on 15 September 2013
I'm very pleased with this book. It's as good as promised. No disappointments at all. I would recommend it. Enjoy!
on 3 April 2013
Very goood book, nice new book useful, can be used for fine gain or teaching, good for any athlete novice or semi pro
on 15 December 2014
Lovely book and the person I bought it for was delighted.
on 6 September 2014