Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 September 2013
At the risk of sounding nerdy, I can say that I'm surprised at how interesting I have found this book. It's on my side table so that I can dip into it whenever I think of a word that intrigues me. The link between the European languages is amazing and surprising and I can't help but marvel at how long the author must have spent researching the book. It's a masterpiece. An absolute must-have for everyone with an enquiring mind.
on 7 February 2009
This book is fun and informative for children and adults. Its set up in a dictionary style so easy to use. Some of the word origins are quite suprising.
on 5 April 2010
This book is fascinating and well worth having - easy-to-understand explanations of word origins and revelations of connections between words that I would never have thought of. Only one reservation: sod's law - it doesn't contain all the words I look up, such as "shenanigans". John, could you please make the next edition more extensive?
on 4 September 2014
Very interesting dictionary. I used it at uni studying etymology. Good for someone interested in the history of words or an advanced English language learner.
on 7 December 2012
The most excellent book if you are intetested in where words come from! I would thoroughly revommemd this book b
on 25 May 2015