Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2013
I have wanted to try celestial navigation and this book is very user friendly and now feel with a bit of practical practice I will be able to plot courses very accuratly.
on 22 July 2008
The uncontactable Mr Lagan is to be congratulated on an interesting and readable book, The Barefoot Navigator, but the reviewer confesses to being very puzzled. He continually refers to Gavin Menzies Book - 1442 - The Year China Discovered the World, throughout the book and even in the references. He appears to have a book that none of us, not even Gavin Menzies know about or even wrote. Gavin Menzies as far as we know, has only written 1421: The Year China Discovered the World and now 1434: The Year a Chinese Fleet Sailed to Italy and Ignited the Renaissance.

This is obviously an error on Mr Lagan's part and that of his editor and proof readers. Nobody bothered to check the accuracy of his work and referencing. The error stands out like a red beacon especially as he chose to be very critical of Gavin Menzies' theories. If he makes such an obvious error and cannot get the title right, how can his opinion of 1421 be correct?

Many of Gavin Menzies' critics reject his whole book on the basis of one or two minor errors and if applying the same logic, I should do the same with the Barefoot Navigator. However I have taken the trouble to read this book in full and certainly find merit in a great deal of it. Its broad purpose is understandable and what the author sets out to do, admirable. Lagan's historical research lacks depth and he tends to parrot the opinions of convention. The Barefoot Navigator would have been better without the potted histories but I am not going to trash it as many others will do, if they take this work seriously. There are some hidden gems in this book for those with eyes to see. Mr Lagan may likewise find plenty in 1421 if he takes the time to read it carefully.

It would be a commendable gesture if Mr Lagan could put up an apology on his website with the correct information regarding 1421 so that his readers may be correctly informed.
on 6 March 2014
I have only just started reading this book yet I am already becoming frustrated with the authors style. So far there has been more criticism and opinion of other peoples work than anything of substance. I hope I will find some useful information which is not contained in We the Navigators and other books I have read.
on 19 January 2015