on 4 January 2009
This book is not for the faint-hearted. It goes into the different Holarctic species (and subspecies) of gulls in great depth.
I live in an inland county and don't often see gulls (apart from black-headed and common) on the ground. So in some ways it is way beyond what I need. But it is a superb reference book. And I'm glad to own it.
The sheer amount of detail and no. of drawings and photographs is breath-taking.
As with all bird identification the secret is to get to know the common species intimately first. So getting to grips with the argentatus and argenteus races of Herring gull is probably my next step. Then, who knows, I may get to the point of being able to pick out a Caspian, yellow-legged or even American herring gull from a mixed flock. If I don't, it won't be the fault of Olsen and Larsson!
on 31 December 2015
The detail I was looking for though for me and general readers wanting distinguishing information, FAR too much detail. Do I really need to know the size of the 'mirrors'? What use is that unless I'm actually handling the birds? Nevertheless, simply luxurious in it's depth and breadth of knowledge. When you need to know more, this is it....
on 28 April 2017
Brilliant book both in terms of content, and physical structure. Illustrated with great clarity & profusion.
on 15 September 2017
If you like Gulls, this is for you. Great detail , great illustrations. It's quite technical but that's just what I wanted.
on 11 April 2014
highly recommended in the birding press, I live on an island (Walney) Gulls are either pests or of interest, this book explains the interest!
on 31 March 2012
I decided to buy this book when I was at the lake. I saw a lot of different species of gulls. After returning home, I wanted to identify them. As we know, these birds are very difficult to identify. Books that I have at home have not been able to help me. I bought this book and it was a good purchase.

Terms of content this book is very valuable. Inside are very good illustrations Larsson (as usual), good pictures, maps of occurrence and very detailed descriptions of 43 species of gulls.
on 31 March 2015
very detailed book , excellent for helping with the ID od Gull. which is rarely easy .
on 13 December 2016
You cant get more detailed than this, if you want gulls this is were to look,
on 16 May 2015
My fiend showed me his copy and we decided to purchase a copy we are not dissapointed
on 26 October 2015
Excellent and comprehensive book and a great reference volume. Highly recommended.