The story itself is very readable and engrossing, I really enjoyed it and it's an account that will stick in your mind long after you finish the book. There is no doubt left that Sir Robin Knox-Johnson is an inspiration.

For me the unexpected side-benefit of reading this book (which was in my local library) was that it really helped me get to grips with mystical nautical terms, boat and sail practicalities and weather issues during my intrduction to sailing.

Much more enjoyable than plowing through my RYA text books!
on 4 August 2017
Just enthralling. This 29 year old's mix of professionalism, training, audacity, courage, resilience is simply inspiring. All of this seemingly applied with a level head, absent of drama and self pity.

This is the tale of an English Gentlemans' self set task of ensuring his nation was not going to lose the last great sailing first to a frenchman. Under prepared and ill equipped Robin Knox-Johnson was the only man to finish the Golden Globe race and a reading of this book will give you an understanding of just how unlikely would have been for perhaps any other.

A man professionally assessed as 'Disturbingly Normal' is an example to us all. What is not told here is his modest generosity to other contestants and their families following the race. No wonder Robin Knox Johnson is one of the most respected men in sailing today.
on 26 April 2017
Great read about a great voyage...the character of Sir Robin rally comes across well/
on 25 March 2017
Humbling account of an epic adventure.
You can spend a lifetime planning and never be ready, sometimes you just have to go for it.
on 29 August 2013
Good very quick service. Not read properly yet but I'm sure it will be a veryinteresting book to read. Would definitely recommend to others
on 21 April 2017
Will read when I'm on holiday.
on 27 April 2004
I love this book. It is an amazing story. Anyone interested remotely insailing should love it. If you haven't read it, I strongly recomend it.The idea of sailing from Falmouth single handed and alone non-stop aroundthe world in a 32 foot wooden yacht, back into Falmouth again - is simple- yet an awesome challenge for 1968 and before the days of GPS, computersand modern boat materials. An amazing tale, I treasure this book.
on 1 November 2006
I really enjoyed this book.

It gives an insight into the mind of one of the greatest adventurers of our time.

1968 seems a long time ago (I was only a 1yo baby!) but this guy was out there doing his stuff.

He conveys a sense of freedom we can only dream of these days.
on 27 September 2016
An entertaining read .Well written story of a heroic voyage into the unknown when round the world sailing was not yht norm
on 6 February 2009
In the mid 1960s, sailing alone, non-stop around the world was known to be possible, but had yet to be accomplished. This excellently written book is the story of how it was accomplished. The pictures and excerpts of Knox-Johnstons log enhance a gripping read.

I would recommend this book to anyone keen on sailing.