on 14 June 2017
Good book
on 20 July 2002
After reading this book for the first time, it revolutionized my ethos on coaching rugby. This book extolls the virtues of every player contributing to defence, attack and support play. In the season that I have coached in this new way, my forwards have become faster and more skillful and my backs have become stronger and better tacklers. This has unified the team, there are no-longer forwards and backs, they are all rugby players.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2005
If you play or coach rugby with passion, then this book will keep your spirit for the sport alive - while giving you the opportunity to step-back from your game with a true strategist. The book is written very calmly and simply, taking you step by step through the techniques used for the different positions, while emphasising every player's contribution, while still keeping an eye on the overall patterns of play. I bought and read this book as a player and am now using it as a coach. Recommended to both.
on 18 January 2005
This is the best book on coaching I have ever come across. I coach young children but so much of the book applies to 9-year-olds as much as it does to adults. It is my bible, and I return to it again and again. Apart from Jim Greenwood's brilliantly analytical approach it is a deeply inspiring book. Greenwood believes that you must aim high, and then shows you how it can be done.
on 13 June 2000
For anyone involved in coaching Rugby I would unhesitatingly declare this to be an ESSENTIAL companion. Its literally packed with useful info, tips, suggestions and technical data. I've found it stimulating and eye opening. It really is a book that supplies endless encouragement and insight. Indispensible.
on 14 February 2012
I have been involved in coaching children for the past eight years since under 8's. As with many ex players it is only when you coach that you really start to understand the finesse of the game. This book not only opens your eyes to the possibilities of 'Total' adventurous 'Rugby'but gives the reader the insight and ideas to make the most of any possibility.
on 11 November 2010
First the bad, the quality of the binding on the first book I received was atrocious, as soon as I opened it the binding started to crack and a number of pages fell out.

However, the content of the book is excellent.

Due to the way it's detailed it can be used as manual, allowing you to move between topics, drills, plays etc.

I think it has value even for an experienced player or coach, making you consider your actions and skill sets in a measured way, prompting you to review and improve. It's especially worth while for anyone training juniors as it will help to instil good habits and techniques.

Definitely worth a regular read.
on 26 November 2012
I went for this book as I needed a proper insight into the game, only being in my second season in senior rugby union. It is very interesting, although would benefit from more diagrams of play situations as most of it is written in descriptive text. It does however give really good food for thought.

Overall this is really for coaches rather than players, but as a player I've definitely enjoyed some of the ideas it contains.
on 17 April 2011
This book is brilliant. for anyone wanting to understand the principles and insight to what is a very technical game then I strongly urge this. it challenges you to think of all aspects of the game.
on 28 April 2008
The comment on the cover from NZ head of coaching says it all. 'This is my bible'. And it is so easy to understand and use. I don't just follow training plans, I understand the game because of this book. Apart from technical things like SAQ books, there is no point in having other coaching books once you have this one.