Customer reviews

on 30 March 2017
Now I was expecting a book to help me with my embroidery using recycled items I.e. Old fabric or adding unusual items into pictures but this is weird - stitching banana skins. I don't think so but I only paid a couple of quid for the book so nothing lost and it made me laugh.
on 23 July 2017
Very pleased with the prompt delivery and the quality of the book. I shall enjoy using this.
on 18 August 2017
As advertised
on 27 August 2008
I wanted this book as i'm a bit of a magpie and save lots of little things like, coloured sweet papers,buttons,bottle caps,shells,fabrics etc, now, i know what to do with them all. This book is excellent for anyone who has a creative mind, full of exciting ideas and very thought provoking.
on 30 October 2007
With a bit of imagination, Domestic Duchamps can use found and discarded materials for their embroideries. Recycling, thus, is not just for ethics but for aesthetics as well. Because, as presented in Creative Recycling in Embroidery, trash embellishes.
Here the Medium is the Message, and the focus is on the materials used to create a work of art---fruit netting, old clothes, fiber waste, candy wrappers, plastics and even soda cans.
Today, creatively speaking, there are new techniques possible due to new commercial products that can be used for fabric manipulation and "creative recycling" provides instructions on their use. Therefore, this book is especially helpful for those who like to experiment with new materials and processes. And in using discards, experimentation comes easier because you don't have to worry about wasting materials thus wasting money. Some instructions are given for patchwork, papermaking and papier-mache as well.
Finally, recycling has become fashionable!
on 30 October 2011
I bought Val Holmes' Creative Recycling in Embroidery in 2007 and again last week, not realizing this was the same book with a different cover - miffed at myself for not realizing I already have it (how many books does this woman have that she forgot you say? a heap but I have a terrible memory for titles and a much better one for covers) and also miffed that it wasn't clearer. Still a great book...
on 24 April 2014
This is a book for people who probably already have a bit of craft experience and want to incorporate recycled stuff into their work.
Someone in an earlier review complained that it is necessary to buy products but not all recycled things are free. I am most interested in making papers and felts to use as backgrounds for embroidery and their are a lot of ideas and good instructions. I had never heard of 'throwsters waste' and 'wool tops' until I bought this book but after a search on the web I found world of wool which is in Yorkshire of course(being a centre of the wool industry)who sell silk wool and other waste as well as wool and kits. The wool tops they sell will have been washed and prepared.so that is why they are not free .I also had to buy some cellulose glue powder. I already have lots of thread and paints. The book does give instructions for using animal hair or found sheeps wool.
As well as felt and papermaking there are sections on using plastics and metals and many other materials. I use the inside of tomato puree tubes for embroidery.
For me the only drawback of the book is the lack of a suppliers list but its not hard to find products on amazon or the web.
This is one of my favourite craft books at the moment along with the Maggie Grey book Paper Metal and Stitch. I have tried new things and had great fun. I would heartily recommend.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 24 June 2010
Gifted textile artist Val Holmes uses her creativity and imagination to recycle items and produce artwork. She presents lots of ideas that you can work on to use everyday items. This multi-media book uses many techniques and will encourage you to experiment. Embroidery, weaving, fusion and so much more with great ideas for paint and images. I love the vessels. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 24 September 2010
stunningly beautyful objects made from junk and rubbish. Inspirational but also a bit daunting, because you just cannot believe that your stuff could possibly be as impressive and then of course, these things look cool in a book, but what do you do with all these weird bowls and wallhangings and objects in your own home, there is only so much space for "stuff" and you don't have a name as an artist, so that you could sell the arty objects? So the book ends on the shelf among all the other inspirational beautiful books, forgotten. Or maybe you if you are a "coffee-table-boaster" type of person, you can leave it there.
on 12 July 2012
The whole premise of this book, no matter how attractive it is, is that it is supposed to be about recycling!
This book requires you to buy PRODUCTS!
There is no recycling here!