Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star). See all 178 reviews
on 21 March 2016
Absolute load of rubbish. Purchased this item as the company I worked for, which was an outbound telesales company specialising in insurance products the Managing Director swore by this book and insisted that we read it and used this as our company "bible" on how to turn a good business into a great business.

I mean literally every team meeting we had to recite something from the book!

The business was a huge loss in year one, then made a profit of £1,000 in year two (considering there were 80 telesales and 6 management staff on board at the company and selling insurance on behalf 3 of the top 5 biggest banks in the UK). In year three the company folded and went bust!

This is known as the "From nothing to nothing" book. I wouldn't rely on it like our company did!
on 6 April 2008
This book came highly recommended, but actually is rather boring - the whole gist of it could have been summarised in just one page rather than needing a whole book.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2014
This time last year I was doing a bonnie job for a small company, when a big company came knocking. I couldnae say noo.

Now I had some real big gutties to fill, so to speak - even with 10 years experience of being nearly as good as the big boys, I felt I had improving to do to make myself great. So, I bought this book to read on the plane- the job involves lots of travelling around Europe, or at least it used to, (I don't care - I don't like planes any more, especially ones with banners).

What words of wisdom did it give me aboot hiring the right staff? There was this young lad who was brought in to widen his horizons, but the first thing that he widened was my daughter's Nat King Cole. So I sent him packing to Wales.

Then there these two identical twins. Felt like I was blooted with me seeing double, sone of them had to go. To Wales. As a replacement, I tried to hire a good worker from my old place. Having read a bit of this book, I knew how to haggle. I offered £12m, but they refused to sell. So I offered them £12m, and they still refused to sell. There was also this Bigyin up for sale for £15m, but by cunningly waiting, I got the price knocked down to £27.5m.

What did hiring all these staff do for my fortunes? Nothing. We even did worse than my old company. This book led me to believe that if I only followed the advice, that success would come forth. But we didn't even come fifth.

The bosses said they would stand behind me, but it turned out this was only to chib me in the back and send me on me trolley.