Customer reviews

Living Buddha, Living Christ
Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 December 2010
What I like about Thich Nhat Hanh is that he tries to build bridges between different religions. Unfortunately, there are too any people who profess to be religious who only promote intolerance and hate. There is no room for discussion!

As I see myself as an agnostic,I feel I can comment on religion from a "neutral" position.

The main point I have taken from this book is that both Christianity and Buddhism share a common perspective. One has the Holy Spirit and the other has Enlightenment (mindfulness).

If there is an entity called "God", it is not seperate from us but part of us. Everyone has access to enlightment, to the Holy Spirit, not just the chosen few.

If you want to read a book that gives you the feeling that religion has a purpose, then your money would not be wasted on this book. Technically, Buddhism is not a religion but that doesn't really matter. The point is different belief systems can have a common ground.

Thich Nhat Hanh comes across as a kind and wise man. The world needs more people like that.
on 20 September 2005
I read this book and relaxed more instantly. After growing up in the USA in a crazy Christian environment that spouted thoughts that didn't make sense, I knew, after reading this book what I felt deep down inside was true. There is NO one way. I think Jesus' teachings have been twisted and interpreted wrongly by many people and the author's thoughts are more correct than anything I've read before. Buy this book, it's thought provoking and gives you a peaceful feeling.
on 13 October 2016
Thich Nhat Hanh, or 'Thay' to those who follow and know him, has a very precise way with words. Each word is considered, and it shows in his writing. This analysis of the contrasting, yet complementary approaches to life enjoyed by both Buddhists and Christians is insightful, and could be regarded as a cornerstone for a new understanding between the world's religious and philosophical systems. Thoroughly recommended reading for anyone seeking their path; you may be surprised at what this book brings to your personal surface, whether you approach it from Buddhism, or Christianity.
on 19 November 2016
the book is actually the 20th anniversary edition and it arrived in the worst state I have ever seen in a book. The pages had been sliced by hand and unless it is meant to look like parchment paper with extremely rough edges (some pages were properly cut so I don't think so), it was a rushed job and badly executed. I bought the book for its content not how it looks, but still expected a book that would not look like a child had been let loose with zigzag scissors.
on 2 February 2017
Enlightening
on 4 May 2017
I have been searching for a way of life for a long time now.Thich Nhat Hanh ,his books and teachings have given me a direction in life that I could not find before.By way of mindfulness and meditation I have become a more centred and better person.I now live in the present,instead on dwelling too much in the past and worrying about the future.His book Living Buddha and Living Christ gave me more insight into how people all over the world can live together and respect each others beliefs.I wish that they were more people like him ,especially those in politics and education,what a wonderful way to teach our children,to love one another and respect all living things.
on 11 January 2013
After attending Sunday school for 8 years and studying o level religious studies on the synoptic gospels I was so ignorant of many of the deeper meanings.WHen I was ready to read it this book came up and explained to me many of the concepts which helped me understand my original christian teachings.I know that this teacher has both a Buddha and crucifix on his shrine,he has gone beyond religion.Why can't the Christian church explain things better I do not know.I passed the book on to a retired vicar who I admired and he bought himself a copy.Read it with an open mind and allow the book to do its work.
on 13 November 2013
In my view Thich Nhat Hanh is one of the clearest writers on the Buddhist path. In this book he compares and contrasts the principles upon which Christianity and Buddhism are based and they have much in common. For me this book confirms my belief that how you live day by day is more important than the beliefs of your particular religion.
on 7 February 1999
Being a Roman Catholic, I was afraid I was betraying my religion by starting to study Buddhism. After reading this book, I now see that Buddhism is more of a practice and way to live, then a strict religion. I also realize that Christ and Buddha had so much in common in their teachings. I highly recommend this book and any other books by this great writer for those seeking information on how to live a better peaceful and fulfilling life. It does not interfere with any other religion and I find it helps me understand,we all need to live as the Buddha and Christ have asked us to through their teaching.
on 12 June 1998
For many Zen is an obscure practice. Equally so is the practice of Christianity. As a person with no spiritual home in either, and yet intrigued by both, I was drawn to this book primarily by its title.
What I found within was an honest, heartfelt and compassionate view on 2 of the greatest religions of the world. Being uncommitted in either direction, I started the book hoping that it would give me a way not to have to decide. That there was a way to be both Christian and Bhuddist. I left the book with a new understanding of how the two religions related, yes, most important I left with a new found respect for my cultural roots (Christian) and a way to continue on a path that would have me learn more about it.
Living Bhudda, Living Christ takes dogma out of the equation. Encourages us to look within for the source of spirituality. To realize that all that stands between our full awakening, whether through Jesus or Bhudda, is our unwillingness to open our eyes and see.
As a new Christian, some may find it ironic, that a Zen Master was largely responsible for opening my mind to my faith. A faith I saw prior to such works as a nice story at best.
For anyone who finds themselves wondering about things spiritual, how and if they have a relevance in their life, I would recommend this book. Similarly, for those that may feel the presence of God, but are finding it difficult to reconcile the way in which the message of God is delivered, this book is for you.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse