on 6 March 2018
Well I've read most of John Grishams books AND enjoyed them all ... But this one beats the lot ... The research he's done must have took years I could only read one chapter a night ( in bed) by 80percent it was so stomach churning I left it and returned to it at 7am to finish it.. Upset me that much i couldn't eat my breakfast and coloured my day ...mark my words JG it was above and beyond a good book you will end up with Alzheimer's it was just too much I gave it 5 stars for your sheer hard work but for myself I would give it one star for horrifying and gruesome.
on 20 January 2017
This was posted promptly and in new condition. A gritty book to read with great insight as to the proceedures at an execution. John Grisham was his usual masterful self with a Dickensian zeal to expose things that need reform and a great writer of different characters of people.
on 14 August 2009
This was the 5th Grisham book that I have read, and it failed miserably compared to the others that I have read (A time to Kill, The last Juror, The Innocent Man and The Client, all of which were un-put-downable and worth their weight in gold).

After a good start, this book simply plods along with the same boredom until the end. Simply, nothing happens to make you want to read on. Some lose ends remain, like, why did the accomplice break into Lee's home and steal her keys? He never uses them, so what was the point?

Sadly, this book was a waste of money. I found myself only reading it at times when I had nothing better to do, whereas the previous Grisham books that I have read I couldn't wait to pick them up again.

Hopefully, this was a one-off failure, and that the other Grisham books I have sat on my bookshelf waiting to be read will be far better.
on 11 January 2018
As always John Grisham writes a fascinating and compelling story. You are constantly wanting to turn to the next chapter to find out how the plot develops. It is difficult not to have a look at the last page.

Graham Wilson
on 4 January 2018
Not a subject matter I'd normally choose. Made me think a lot about justice, crime, society, voyeurism, politics, the law and the family you end up being influenced by. Life and death are very complex. So much can be down to chance or to simply not stepping up to the crowd, to taking a risk by doing the right thing in the wrong place.
on 12 March 2018
Another brilliant book by John Grisham. His character portrayal is utterly believable and his stories are tense and intriguing. This book is just that and the plot keeps you guessing as to what the outcome may be for the bulk of the tale. You love his good guys and hate the bad ones! I loved The Chamber. He remains one of my favourite authors.
on 28 January 2018
As always with Grisham, a brilliantly told tale. A young lawyer fighting for an old man's life on death row. This book keeps you guessing until the end.
on 13 September 2013
but I ain't telling you why coz I don't want to give away the plot. What you get is a fast paced legal drama about a family with a violent and secretive past.

A smooth read, as is what I've found with all the John Grisham that I've read. The story and characters draw you in and get you involved. There's some legal jargon but you don't need to absorb this coz it's only enough to show the progression of the story.

Highly recommended!
on 8 February 2018
An unusual and downbeat story but with touching relationships. Interesting insight into death row and American judicial system. Ok read
on 1 May 2018
Gresham at his best. A fine novel with a sad story of the human condition.
Moral and true. excellent book.