on 8 August 1999
After reading some of the other reviews, I can not understand how anyone could read this book in its entirety and NOT get help. There is so much wisdom offered here, so much help for everyday living. Chapters on such things as Relationships, Addiction, Power, Illusion, Choice, - all of the issues that we all so regularly have trouble dealing with.
I have read the author's other books and have seen him speak many times. Believe me, he is not in this for the money. As a matter of fact, he is the most loving, unpretentious man I have ever met. He wrote this book because he has a strong heart-felt desire TO HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND, and he has devoted his life to this purpose. He was a suffering human being,in great emotional pain, until he was blessed with the experiences and divine guidance that changed his life.
All that he wishes to accomplish in this book, is to share with others what he now knows to be his own personal spiritual truth. It transformed his life, and if your heart and spirit are open, it can do the same for you.
Please judge this book on its own merit. He has written it in a way that it is clearly understandable, offering his love and wisdom to those of all faiths. You are free to accept only whatever you find that rings true in your own heart and soul, but there is so much insight here.
To say that it transformed my life is putting it mildly. I have given away numerous copies of this book to friends and relatives and most have come to view it as a treasure. Hope you will find that it will mean as much to you.
on 30 October 2000
I agree with a reviewer above that this book is not easy on the head; I,too, have read many, many books on this subject. I was familiar with the author from the Oprah show, and really enjoy him and his theories. However, as familiar as I am with this subject, I had to re-read certain passages many, many times to totally understand and digest the message. What is missing in this book is the personal touch, and the personal stories that are available in his appearances on the Oprah show. Actually, each time that Oprah refers to this book as her "favourite", (which of course is VERY influential ) I feel that she should add a word to beware the reader...I was impressed however with the level of intelligence and thinking pattern. I look forward to "Soul Stories". Perhaps this new book will fill in the blanks that "Seat Of The Soul" did not fill...
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2003
This in my opinion is a life changing book. If you want to know the meaning of life, then this book is for you. It is not a light read by any means. You will have be ready to open your mind and be prepaired to ditch all of your preconceptions about life and the universe. If you have lost a loved one and need reassurance, or keep saying "Why does this always happen to me? Look no further.
on 17 March 2002
I am so glad I read this book.
In a fast modern world full of day to day pressures we all need reminding that a change in attitude can change your life and this book, so beautifully written, guides you with love, compassion and understanding to a greater view of our tiny lives.
Gary Zukav caters for the merely curious to those already on the seekers path and as such I think everyone will finish this book feeling hope and encouraged to move forward in their life.
An excellent book - buy, learn, enjoy, and make a difference!!
on 7 November 1999
This is probably one of the most prolific books that I have EVER read. Gary Zukov has masterfully explained, in readable terms, the mysteries of what one cannot see, touch, hear, smell and taste. Anyone who grew up in the Bible Belt of Texas, as I did, will understand the mental, emotional and spiritual straight-jacket that permeates ones mindset about moving through life with spiritual baggage. This book has allowed me to grow spiritually. It opened my eyes to the more important things....one's focus, one's consciousness about everything one does. My fear in picking up the book was that it would grate against my fundamental spiritual beliefs - quite the contrary - it has enhanced my spirituality and brought me to a peaceful place with a sense of spiritual hope for my future and my children's. It really is a must-read for those looking for 'that missing something' that one cannot quite articulate. Gary has put into words what I have felt and had no idea what 'IT' was, for years. I am sure there are many people who will feel the sense of peace, hope, and joy that I have, through reading this book combined with faith and an open mind. I re-read it and it was like reading a whole new book the second time - and I believe reading it many more times will bring much more to light to my consciousness in my quest to learn Life's Lesson's within God's Plan.
on 6 March 2000
I don't read books much, I am too impatient, however the seat of the soul changed all that. Why do humans want to hurt each other? 'Religious War?' Why do you do what you do every day/year? What is it leading to? Why do you assume that your viewpoint is right? I found this book to be very thought provoking, because something would happen to me in life I might consider unfair, which would make me question why that had just happened, but my thoughts would return to the book, and I would look at situations from a different perspective, and generally work out the answers for myself. Which is a very satisfying achievement.
I found one underlying message from the book to be - whatever situation or set of circumstances you find yourself in adult life, which will therefore affect the way you feel emotionally, remeber one thing - you put yourself there, and you are the only person who can put the wheels into motion to change that, depending on how much you really want to change that.
As mentionned by other reviewers, the text is in plain english, however, I sometimes had to read the same page 2 or 3 times to let the message sink in, which obviously takes longer to read, but it was so worth it, because my friends now ask me to explain to them what their next possible move in one area of their life could be, which fills me with joy to think that the books teaching's are being passed on tho those who would not normally bother to spend time learning about - the path to enlightenment...
on 18 September 2015
Oprah recommended this book and I bought it to listen to in the car on my long drive to work. I found it challenging but in a good way, it's really eye-opening and has had a very positive impact on my life.
on 14 February 2016
I saw a short video of Oprah talking to Gary and saying how what he had written in the chapter of intention had changed the way she lives her life. This of course made me want to read the book. In the video she describes Gary's idea very powerfully and very clearly. And i am actually amazed that she managed to understand it at all! I'm glad she translated it for me because frankly, the way he writes is really hard to understand.

Then i got to a place in the book where he was declaring that animals do not have an individual soul. A cat doesn't have a soul. A dog doesn't have a soul. And that's when he totally and forever lost my vote. I will not even lower myself to engage in profanities regarding his judgement.
on 20 January 1999
How somebody who wrote a book such as The Dancing Wu Li Masters could write a book that is a babble of poorly understood Eastern religions is baffling. He makes bold statements about the soul as if he had been in conference with some Higher Power and gotten the inside scoop. That may have worked for Moses, but Zukav lacks the validity of the burning bush and a couple of stone tablets. His ideology is also remarkably disconnected from the earth and all of God's other creatures, which I find peculiar in light of our long American tradition of deep connections with both. He claims animals don't have individual souls as humans do. I think it's swell he has chosen to believe this, but that so many people are accepting his own quirky thoughts as gospel is astonishing. It also makes me wonder what direction those who follow his thoughts will take when it comes to compassion for our fellow creatures. I'm just not getting what makes him such an authority on who's got the souls and who doesn't, and what shape the soul takes in those who have them. But perhaps most baffling of all is that Oprah Winfrey--during her interview with Mr. Zukav, whose book she claims to have read--equated the Golden Rule with Zukav's definition of Karma and he agreed. Huh? They aren't even close. It made me very suspicious of both Zukav's motives as well as Oprah's memory. Zukav dictates and never questions, which I've always been taught was the way of the fool. He speaks with authority, yet never bows to the great voices of authority of the past. His is a New Age stew with too much spice and far too few veggies.
on 24 August 2015
Absolutely touches part of you that you didn't know was there. Some chapters are tricky to get your head round but I will be re-reading it. I have teamed this book with The Untethered Soul and The Four Agreements, read in that order. I am on The Journey and I have never been more aware in my life.