Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2016
An American writer, so does make reference to American men and says that he finds European men have a better cultural experience. I am a female counsellor and find that often the men I see are losing their wild man side that leaves them off balance. I believe that there is quite a lot of expectation put on men to be 'more' for women whether it is looking after babies, or cooking or cleaning, or being a better emotional partner they are loosing some of the masculine qualities that often attracted the women in the first place. The whole book is based around the analysis of the Iron John story, not one that I was familiar with, again most the of the old tales I am familiar with are the ones based on young women such as Cinderella.

It is a good read, and easily accessible not only for men but for mothers of boys/men.
on 21 September 2011
I'd read about this classic book but had never read it until recently. I bought it as I was about to attend a male initiation course in Scotland. I started it before I went and completed it when I came home - the book just seemed to crystalise all that had gone before in the five days of the course - much of which had seemed hazy and obscure at the time I was there. A must for any modern man who's feeling as if something has been missed or passed him by. I'm in my sixties, but this book will resonate with any man of any age who wants to delve deeper into his masculine soul but doesn't know where to start. Some men may find Robert Bly's use of myth and fable a bit arty-farty, but my advice would be to try and recapture some of the wide-eyed wonder you had as a child and read it with a child's heart - the magic will find you and exhilarate you - it did for me!
on 19 August 2017
The book it self is excellent but when they packaged it they stuck the book to the sticky seal of the packaging and it tore the book and left some of the packaging stuck to the book. otherwise good
on 29 August 2013
I have just finished this book today and I can only describe it as a revelation! Robert Bly provides a beautifully written treatise of what we have lost as men in our culture. Through the use of mythological writings and a sympathetic, yet straightforward approach he cuts through taboos and vaguries with honesty and confidence, as well as linguistic prowess.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to any man (or woman who is interested) in this true coming of age account of what it is to be a man, how to live happily and freely and how to use mythology for its intended purpose - to help us live better lives. 10/10!!!
on 19 June 2017
Bly masterfully directs this ancient fairy tale and offers some great insights into the male journey. Every man should read it...and women, too!
on 2 February 2013
There is a great deal of truth in this book, it speaks to the quiet strength that a mature man embodies and gives a voice to the dark periods of his life that inform his maturity. This is one of those books that gave me an emotional vocabulary and talked about some things that I needed to deal with in my life, at a time when I needed it.
on 7 June 2013
Incredibly interesting and valuable book that will help your understanding of the male species immensely. After a lifetime of unhelpful feminist ideas and a lot of failed relationships due to a lack of understanding of what it is to be a man I was at my wits end. Reading this book changed my life. It also encourages one to think metaphorically and pluralistically, two vital skills sorely lacking in todays world. Highly recommended
on 13 March 2017
Really informative and a thoroughly thought provoking read.
on 3 June 2017
I bought it for my husband to read, without telling him and he is reading it.
I'm expecting some good