on 18 February 2001
A solid collection of circular walks around the broad area of the Lake District, ranging from hour-long strolls to strenuous hikes.
The key advantage of this book over similar titles is that the (already clear) route descriptions are backed up by colour extracts from Ordnance Survey Landranger maps - a definite improvement over the crude line drawings often found in guides.
The routes are graded into three ability groups, but this classification is rough and there's no indication of other factors such as height climbed; so when choosing a route, a good read of the description and an intelligent look at the map are wise. Instructions on how to get to, and park at, the start point are sometimes sketchy too.
Despite these niggles, this is an excellent guide offering unusually good value. Consider also the companion title "More Lake District Walks", which contains a complementary collection of routes.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2015
This is a really excellent book, with easy to follow walks. I really like the ordering of difficulty, not just by distance but the general topography as well. It was great for my holiday in Keswick as we could open the book in the morning, look at the map for the nearby walks, decide how far we wanted to go and just pick a walk. We didn't require an OS map as well, as the directions were super clear. There's enough walks in it to keep you going for weeks. Also a very convenient size as will fit in large pockets.
on 6 June 2017
Looks like a really useful guide, we have a number of walk books but this one has a few new ones to us. Haven't used it yet but looks good.
on 2 July 2017
Good guide
on 17 March 2017
Ordered for a trip to the Lake District so yet to test how good the directions are! But seems good book with a variety of walks and clear maps. Delivered promptly
on 12 November 2014
spot on
on 15 January 2002
When I first decided to go to the Lake District and do some walking, this was the book I bought, and I haven't regreted it, and have since bought the second in the series. The walks themselves are well thought out and described, often with information on the area you are passing over. One or two walks have seen or are about to see changes due to path erosion, so it may be time for an updated version.
There are occasionally good suggestions for alternative ways of starting the walks (eg getting the boat from Keswick for the Cat Bells walk) which can be useful, but especially on some of the climbs it doesn't quite make it clear how far up you're going and how quickly; the aforementioned Cat Bells walk has a very stiff (if not that long) climb with some scrambling up rocks at the end that isn't mentioned for example.
Nevertheless, an interesting and generally reliable book with a good selection of walks, info about things you may see on the walk, and backed up with a section of OS Map that means you'd have to go very wrong to get completely lost.
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2009
This, like all other Pathfinder Guides I have bought, is a gem. The walks are grades from easy to strenuous and each comes with a very clearly reproduced colour OS map for each walk where the walk is highlighted. Each walk also contains details on where to park for each walk, which is useful, especially in the Lakes, where parking is at a premium.

A very user-friendly walking guide at a bargain price. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 31 May 2007
I really like this guide - A good range of clearly graded walks. The directions for the walks I've completed so far are clear and backed up with the inclusion of sections from Ordnance Survey maps. It's very hard to go wrong.

I'm neither an expert walker/hiker nor particularly knowledgeable about the Lake District; so I find the guide great for giving me ideas for places to go and see. Have enjoyed every walk I've chosen. (Just got back from a trip where I did the Coniston Old Man/Water route. It was excellent; varied terrain and a good length to make sure I burnt off the calories from the pub meal of the previous night!!)
on 24 July 2009
This is probably the best book to have for hiking in the lake district as it includes Easy walks, mediocre walks and tough walks. Each walk includes a map which shows the terrain and is very helpful.

However, there are 2 points worth mentioning:
- Some of the walks seemed to need updating (or a simple mentioning of alternative routes) as some of the path's suggested were not to be found when I was doing the hikes. With that said, it was possible to complete the hike as there were alternative routes (which is why I think the book should also mention these)

- I found it odd that the book didn't include as a tough walk, the climb up to Scafell Pike - the highest mountain in England. With that said, the climb to Great gable was extremely enjoyable and you get a fantastic view on the area (and on Scafell pike) and the book is about "the best" 28 Lake district walks, so maybe the authors decided that Scafell pike is not one the best (though the highest) - I would still include it in the book though as from my experience - hikers will want to hike the highest mountain if possible.