on 28 October 2008
My mother in law has a very old copy of this book and my husband raved on and on and on and on...... about it. After finally finding our own copy I gave it a look and fell in love with it's simplicity. We are now the proud owners of three!!!! copies, and the newest is an amalgam of the previous two. However, there are some notable abscences eg Irish Tea Brack and Ginger Bread Men. It's the kind of book which although it gives you a recipe to follow gives you the confidence to alter the ingredients to fit what you have in the cupboards. Thank you Jocasta Innes.
on 10 October 2016
I expected an earlier edition but got this instead. Perfectly happy with it. Excellent condition. But have ordered another trying to get earlier edition. Why ? I liked the recipes as my sister had the book in the seventies. It truly was a book which encouraged non squeamishness and the offal section was great. A leftovers section would have been preferable than some dishes of the fancy section . Best sections in this edition are standards and padding. The thing that made the book unique back in the seventies was that it collected receipes not necessarily found elsewhere.
on 19 May 2017
Present.
on 20 May 2017
I bought this in the 70s, lost it and am glad to have another copy
I've had my copy of this book for well over twenty years now, it's much-thumbed with yellowing pages and interesting stains from various ingredients. Having just posted a negative review of India Knight's The Thrift Book I wondered if this infinitely superior guide to economising was still in print. And it is! Many of the recipes in this book have become family favourites. I particularly recommend the bacon, onion and apple fry-up which works well with sausages too. (Fry bacon, chopped apple and onion together. That's it. Delicious.)

This is a book which would make a great gift for anyone wanting to move away from convenience foods and into 'real cooking' but who isn't sure to go about it. The food in these pages is economical but above all it is TASTY. It's food that won't drive you nuts as you prepare it, using straightforward methods and equipment. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
on 15 April 2003
This book exemplifies the requriements of a non-cook and gives valuable advice on not only what to cook, how to cook it but with what to cook it and what is required to cook it in! A recent (ancient) review described it as the essential item for a 1st year Uni student, existing on minimal means, who needs to eat to survive. Stuff the 1st year Uni person - it's real life!!
From my own experience I can reccomend the curried lentil soup and the most amazing 'padding' of toad in the hole et al.
A must for all who need to survive on a shoestring although, sadly, there is no advice on how to cook that item!!
Together with Hamlins All Colour Cook Book you need noting else to eat, give great dinner parties and live on a limited budget.
I bought my copy of this many many years ago. Its pages are stained throughout where I've followed the various recipes. Jocasta Innes was a pretty unique character, as famous for interior design as she was for being a cookery writer, but the recipes here are very good and some are great.

They are of their time, the Seventies and Eighties. Don't expect Jack Monroe, but if you have Shirley Goode on your bookshelf you'll be along the same lines.
Many of these recipes became family standards. I particularly recommend the onion, bacon and potato hotpot, although it's worth using tinned potatoes for this, they are substantially cheaper and don't take as long to cook.

The section on Programmed Eating is a good one for people looking to put some structure into their shopping list - buy a chicken, make it do for three meals, use low cost meat like sausages for the rest of that week's meals.
Some of the advice has dated - herrings are no longer the cheap option they were and some of the meals are very high in salt for example - but overall this is definitely worth adding to the bookshelf.

When a friend asked to borrow my copy, I refused (I gave her my 'New Pauper's Cookbook' instead, which isn't as good.)
Don't loan your copy out if you get it, you'll never get it back.
on 3 May 2014
Brilliant book, so many pikkies of when life was so much slower! Gave this to a 90 year old who lived in those times her face was a picture on every turned page. Brilliant
on 6 July 2015
WIFE LOVES IT AND USES IT REGULARLY
on 7 February 2009
I first purchased this book as a student over thirty years ago. It is packed with delicious and nourishing recipes at very affordable prices. This book has been used so many times since that a new one was required. Superb cookbook for anyone on a tight budget.