on 24 September 2016
I read The Laskett - the predecessor of this book - when it was published some years ago. It is a classic work of garden literature and as much the story of a marriage as of the making of a garden. My copy was a paperback (though I think it was subsequently republished in a more upmarket hardcover version), mostly text with a handful of smudgy black and white pictures. Remaking a Garden though, is an lavish book of colour photographs and not much text. I've got to the stage where I have to think again what to do with my own much more modest plot so Sir Roy Strong's experience and advice is useful. But I prefer The Laskett, which I have re-read from time to time and which I will keep revisiting.
on 21 April 2017
Excellent condition
on 14 January 2015
It was a present but I had a good report
on 3 January 2015
This is a thought-provoking book and not just for those whose garden is already mature, but also for those whose garden is in the making, either from scratch or inherited from an earlier gardener. It has encouraged me to be radical in removing elements and opening vistas. The quality of the photography ranges from stunning to disappointing and sometimes makes it hard to see the 'before-and-after'; the budget is obviously well beyond the average gardener; and the ponderous nomenclature of the garden needs a decent layout diagram to which reference can be made regularly. But none of these should detract from a most stimulating book.
on 19 June 2015
I was a little disappointed with this book. Having seen The Laskett in its original incarnation I was interested to see how things had changed. Lots of photos of work in progress but I feel this book might have benefitted by being written and photographed at a later date, when the garden once again matures.
on 27 June 2015
Sir Roy Strong is truly at the forefront of garden design history. I have used his books for research through my career and appreciate his awareness of every slight aspect of British garden design history.
His own garden, (much criticised), is the subject of this picture filled tome.
It is rather saddening to realise that so many people do not understand the significance of Sir Roy, his own garden and many useful books.
on 14 July 2014
The book shows that gardening takes bravery to make big decisions and patience to see the outcome. Great photos showing before , during and after transitions.
on 13 September 2014
A delightful and very different 'big garden' book that emphasises the theatrical, but very personal, evolution of this garden. A joy.
on 18 June 2014
A wonderful book and fabulous storey and gives energy to do something to my garden. You cannot fail to enjoy this book
on 16 June 2014
It is just amazing how gardens adapt and rebuild themselves after brutal attacks with spade and tree cutters as well as low ones too . The garden has already captivated me ; so to see these changes will most definately need a follow up of some 10 years from this new garden . Thank-you for allowing us , the reader , to follow your new designs