on 13 November 2012
love your book!!

I thought I was already quite creative with re-crafting things into other useful things - but wow! so many awesome ideas - thank you! After a depressing day browsing a large department store, I decided to just visit a few charity shops instead and make christmas presents at home. I've already done the lampshade, the tie-pencil case and next up the sewing kit jam jar.... The lampshade is already up in our house and my husband thinks it's very stylish!

The best thing was that each of the items didn't take too long. Usually my craft-projects are weeks/months of planning and producing. But this book is a very refreshing and varied list of craft projects that can be done in a few hours, still with brilliant effect, and using the usual things most crafty person will have in the house anyway. The descriptions were simple to understand and the illustrations are just gorgeous!!!!

So this Christmas, gifts are either going to be handmade, or I'll be giving the buttonbag book itself!
on 25 September 2012
Having a growing hoard of holey jumpers and chipped cups and a vague idea to get creative with some fashionable 'upcycling' - this book has come just in time. Now I can follow the practical steps to make some lovely new stuff - all projects are explained clearly and are beautifly illustrated. Inspiring - handmade presents you would actually want to receive and tresasure.
on 11 November 2012
I am loving the resurgence of all things crafty and very much sold on the idea of recyling and upcycling, so this book should have ticked all the boxes, but I am sorry to say it was rather dissapointing.
The ideas are not particularly original (save for a couple - the lego clock is brill!).
Other projects are very basic and most certainly have that rough around the edges homemade look, and the book is largely filled with poor versions of projects easily found and more creatively executed on pinterest. The christmas decorations especially, are a joke, and the sort of thing children make at school.
I appreciate some would be readers might be beginners to craft, and are perhaps less intimidated by the amateur homemade look, if you consider yourself even remotely intermediate in sewing and crafts, this book will leave you deflated. I would actually recommend it for children and adolescents rather than adults, but even then, there are better and more inspiring books on the market for this age group.
The biggest let down though, was the photography. I think like many crafters, these kind of books are purchased as much for the eye candy as the practical direction and patterns. Had the former been more inspiring I may have been less inclined to rate this book so low. Many of the patterns have no photos at all and the illustrations are dull.
Even the writing is half hearted, the intro should have been fabulous, a brilliant opportunity to wax lyrical about the new craft movement and the joy (and reasons for!) using recycled materials in craft. Instead, there is a brief and boring waffle about how being cafty makes us feel good and balances out the use of gadgetry in the home, inspiring it is not!
If you really want a book about upcycling materials in craft, I would recommend Reinvention by Maya Donenfeld, Handmade Home by Amanda Soule and Granny Chic by Tif Fussell, all three have much more interesting projects and are beautifully written, with superb photography.
on 21 October 2015
Had originally borrowed this book from the library and liked it so much decided I had to buy it. It's a fun book with great ideas of how to turn unwanted items into other things, with good step by step instructions. Inspired me to get my sewing box out.
on 24 March 2015
I love this book. It is packed full of easy ways to up cycle cast offs, your own or those found in charity shops and car boot sales. Great fun items to make and has projects suitable for all levels of ability including those who have never crafted much before. My favourite project is the Lego clock, great fun for all fans of Lego, whatever their age!
on 29 December 2013
I loved this book - I work with young people who through exploring their inner creativity can build confidence and self esteem. We loved this book, so many easy, fun and adaptable ideas. I would definitely recommend it for both novice and experienced crafters.
on 1 May 2013
Some very interesting ideas for up-cycling. I look forward to trying some of the projects which include knitting a rug from old tee-shirts and turning men's shirts into bunting and cushions.
on 3 February 2013
It was a gift for my daughter and she says its given her inspiration to get on and do things
on 1 April 2014
Well presented book with interesting ideas for reusing worn out clothing and smartening up old furniture. Instructions are clear and easy to follow
on 14 May 2013
there are some really good projects, well written but not enough real pictures, a lot of drawn pictures to illustrate.