Customer reviews

on 26 November 2014
Not as good as the Old House handbook. Interesting but a bit thin in content.
on 31 December 2014
Interesting. Alas we have more or less finished changing, updating, refurbishing our 1860 semi-setached, 8 bedroom house...
on 2 March 2016
Bought for our daughter who is facing an extension and renovation job on a mid-victorian detached house. She is pleased with it.
on 15 April 2015
Excellent book for surveyors and anyone interested in houses.
on 15 October 2014
Excellent and informative
on 9 July 2013
This book does provide quite a bit of good information but there would be room for much more detail if so much space wasn't wasted.

For example at one point there is a photo of a skip captioned "Think carefully what goes into a skip". I think we all know what a skip looks like! Elsewhere there is a photo of boarded up houses with the caption "These boarded up houses in Nelson, Lancashire are under threat of demolition". What useful information is this imparting that will help me make my house more sustainable? These are just two examples of a number of photos which seem to serve no purpose other than to pad out the book.

When we do need details then the book can be lacking. For example the job that I am most interested in now is insulating a suspended timber floor and a good cross section is included showing how to insulate such a floor. However there is no diagram or other information about what you do at the edge of the floor where the joists enter the wall.
on 21 August 2013
Birthday present for my brother who just loves it from start to finish! Well worth every penny spent on this informative book
on 5 September 2013
I was disappointed with this book, as it still leaves questions unanswered to the lay person like me! Makes a good coffee table book, but not really a guide.
on 26 January 2016
Lovely book. Prompt delivery before Christmas.
on 22 May 2013
This was not what I was hoping for. It is not a how to book or really an ideas book more of a coffee table which is a shame.