on 22 October 2010
A superb book that provides a great insight into the geology of Britain's mountain areas. Granite and Grit may initially seem a little technical for the average lay person though having said that, it is reasonaboly easy to get into and very informative and interesting for anyone who enjoys walking the hills and who likes to know what's going on under their feet and about the influences that have shaped the landscape around them. It is also witty and anecdotal drawing on the author's own experiences of the great outdoors.

The book is beautifully illustrated with inspiring pictures that make you want to be there and experience for yourself the amazing landscapes in some of Britain's finest walking areas. If you like walking the hills and want to understand more about them, then this is a great book to buy.
6 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2014
This excellent book has plenty of photos and diagrams to help the walker understand how the hills he or she loves to walk over, were formed, and to see evidence in the excellent photos that can then be sought out on the ground. Though you may want more detail for specific area, this book will surely whet your appetite. It's too big to tuck into the rucksack, but good to enjoyably read and browse at home. Geology is of course a huge subject and this books give hill walkers a good start. I find myself looking at the Lakeland hills in a different way.
on 23 July 2016
The best and most interesting book on geology I have ever read. Ronald Turnbull conveys a lot of information with a light and entertaining style of writing. I enjoyed reading this but also now feel I understand more about the subject. The pictures are a treat, too.
on 2 December 2017
Arrived very quickly, excellent book, no problems, thank you.
on 17 August 2015
Beautiful photographs that make you long to get back in the hills! Unfortunately I found Turnbull's style of writing a bit annoying - too anecdotal for me - but that's just a personal thing. A lovely book
on 26 August 2013
I've been a walker all my life and taken a keen interest in the terrain I'm crossing. This book gives a clear and involving account of the geological history of the landscape in a straight forward but stimulating way. I would thoroughly recommend this work!
on 22 September 2015
Spent a life time climbing mountains. This is the best geological guide I have come across. Clear, simple and precise with excellent photographs and illustrations.
on 18 June 2014
This book is excellent it would appeal equally to the professional geographer//geologist as well as an interested amateur. Illustrations and prose are excellent too. Interesting and informative and never dull.
on 11 November 2011
Combining my favourite interests of Hillwalking and Geology I was realy looking forward to reading this book.

Contrary to some of the other reviewers, I think it is a good book which reads well, and the photographs are fine.

However, having spent half my life walking of rocks from the Carboniferous Age, and knowing a bit about that Period, when I came across the major sequencing error on page 21 I could not help thinking that there could be similar errors in the rest of the text covering Periods which are less well know to me. Lets hope this is corrected in the Second Edition.
on 21 March 2014
I have an interest in geology and possess several text books.This one stands out for the personal experience demonstrated and the quality of the photography