on 10 October 2009
Having purchased this book after seeing Sarah when she exhibited her beautiful images at the Festival of the Tree at Westonbirt Arboretum, i was not disappointed. Fabulous images really give a sense of the Arboretum throughout the seasons, accompianied throughout by the entertaining and informative text. This is a great coffee table book that can either be dipped into as and when or enjoyed from cover to cover. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys stunning images of nature at it's grandest and/or has an appreciation of Westonbirt and the thousands of exotic and rare species it looks after so well.
on 13 November 2009
I don't think you have to be a nature lover to love this book and appreciate how beautiful and striking the photographs are. I bought this book as a birthday present for my grandparents who had been to Westonbirt many years ago and who are keen nature lovers. They absolutely loved it! Stunning photography, vibrant and vivid colours and a real eye for detail - it is clear that Sarah Howard is a very talented photographer and I think she has captured the essence and the beauty of Westonbirt perfectly, It has certainly invoked happy memories for my grandparents. Having seen Sarah on the programme `Countryfile' recently at Westonbirt talking about the trees and her book I find the reviewers comment that the photographs could have been taken anywhere very puzzling and frankly ridiculous! This book makes a great present for nature lovers and photographers lovers alike.
on 16 October 2009
Bought this book a little while ago and just love it. Have been to Westenbirt only once and the book allowed me to explore so much more of the arboretum. The amazing quality pictures allow you to see the landscapes in the stunning beauty of every season. I found the accompanying text very informative.

I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in photography, the natural world or Westenbirt itself.
on 24 October 2009
This book is really captivating - Sarah's eye for detail is really impressive and she really captures otherwise 'ordinary' images and makes them special. It's a true coffee table book which takes in the essence of England's natural beauty. I really appreciate this book not only from a photographer's point of view but also from a landscape lover's one. A real gem!
on 31 October 2009
I have been a visitor to Westonbirt at various times of the year and looking through Sarahs' book takes me right back there again. The beautiful photographs totally capture the very essence and atmosphere of this special place and bring it to life. I would highly recommend this captivating book to both newcomers to Westonbirt and long standing visitors who already enjoy it's beauty.
on 20 November 2009
This book is not just a visual record of the Westonbirt trees but captures the spirit of this magical place through the seasons. As a photographer and keen naturalist I found many of the images inspiring and recently purchased the 'Avenue of Limes' which now has pride of place in my gallery. Trees are, of course living creatures but bringing them to life in a picture requires great skill and subtlety which Sarah clearly has in abundance. This book is perfect for anyone with an appreciation of art or nature but not the space to display the full size photographs nor the fortune to be able regularly to visit our incredible forests and arboreta.
on 3 November 2010
I bought this book after my first visit to Westonbirt this year. The photographs are stunning, really capturing the unique atmosphere and beauty of the arboretum throughout the seasons. It is a great coffee table book for people to browse (and it has had many admirers already) as well as an interesting record to read from cover to cover. As well as being a permanent reminder of the amazing landscape and colours at Westonbirt, the photography is inspiring, reminding me how lucky we are to have such a diverse landscape around us. I will return to Westonbirt just to see these images for myself. One of the best books I've bought in a long time.
on 5 November 2009
I bought this book to give to a friend for xmas, and amazon sent me what appeared to be another customer's reject. when I opened it, I can understand why. There were a few good pictures, one or two with atmosphere, but the book is neither comprehensive, nor does it give you a sense of westonbirt because there is no orientation, great penetrating insight or raison d'etre.This is most definitely NOT the book for someone who TRULY loves nature, who wants to feel the spirit of the trees, and the forces of the growth. Those vital things are sadly absent in this book. What you get is a few details of leaves, pictures of a handful of trees, and the odd walk, obvious choices of autumnal colours, the obligatory morning light streaming through trees. Its like someone took snaps from various walks through the arboretum, and then decided afterwards to use the pics for a book. The pictures ( not a lot of them) are grouped under the four seasons but the photographer;s 'eye' was looking for shapes and colour, like a lady shopping for dresses at a store, and not for something deeper. For this reason, I too will return this book to amazon. what a disappointment because I agree with the other reviewer that the arboretum really deserves a great book, and i was so looking forward to something like that.
on 17 October 2009
Having seen this book very recently, I just wanted to say what amazing photgraphs! To look at the photos in this book is to be there - so for people like me who live a long way from Westonbirt it's an absolute joy. The text explains clearly all the reader needs to know about Westonbirt and to appreciate it's natural beauty, all of which is captured by the author's wonderful photographs.
This book is a 'must-buy' for anyone who has an appreciation of the natural beauty in and around England.
on 2 December 2009
Growing up my parents took my sister and I to Westonbirt all the time, so when I saw the author of this book on Country File I thought would be a great xmas present for them - and I was right! The pictures are amazing, some of them are like paintings! I have actually just come online to order another copy for myself - gutted they are out of stock. Would highly recommend this book - fabulous present for anyone who loves nature and the great outdoors.