on 11 July 2009
I'm a Norfolk lad living temporarily in the architectural wasteland of Essex, and I bought this book in conjunction with Rice's 'Architectural Primer'. I had already spotted Rice's charming illustrations in 'Country Life' magazine. My role as a surveyor necessitates a basic understanding of architecture, but I couldn't face the prospect of Pevsner. I am delighted that I shelled out for Rice's books: 'Building Norfolk' is both a insightful and amusing read, but it is the warmth of the illustrations and the simple historical commentary that makes the book. It is also an undemanding book, with the less of the jargon and stodgy prose of the aforementioned 'Primer. I commend it to anyone with an interesting in Norfolk's beautiful buildings.

Be prepared for a frustratingly poor standard of editing, however. The book is riddled with spelling and grammatical errors.
on 2 January 2010
I loved Matthew Rice's 'Village Buildings of Britain' and was delighted to see him return to the subject after an 18-year hiatus. This time round he's concentrated on one county only, but the result is just as enjoyable. I've no idea how accurate his history is, and quite frankly I don't care. He's tracked down and illustrated some marvellous examples of the built landscape, and I've enjoyed going on the journey with him - not to mention making a couple of detours in real life to see the subjects of his distinctive and enjoyable watercolours. Regarding his prescriptions for a better future for rural architecture - as opposed to his depiction of the past - I'm not quite so convinced, but I don't see that as detracting from my enjoyment of the book. Next county please Mr Rice!
on 21 September 2013
A nice book with some quaint illustrations and architectural information. I found it a little hard to read some of the handwritten type text and lots of the information I have already found about elsewhere. Good for a first book but if you already have some knowledge of Norfolkian Architecture not much new to discover.
on 5 April 2010
I found this book both interesting and informative on its subject of Construction & Architecture in Norfolk,Having been involved in construction in Suffolk for over 50 years it is interesting to see how counties adjoining used local materials to create their own character in building, Matthew obviously went to great lengths in his research to achieve an accurate and interesting read. The price on Amazon makes it even better value,Good one
on 3 November 2013
Mr Rice combines wit, knowledge and delightful drawings to an informative tome. His exhaustive architectural experience makes this a entertaining book for newcomers and experienced visitors to Norfolk
on 9 June 2012
Very detailed and full of beautifully detailed line and watercolour illustrations. I bought it as a gift for my Dad who is Norfolk born and bred. He enjoyed it very much.
on 3 October 2009
This book was a disappointment, within ten minutes of receiving it I found at least four errors. One house in particular caught my eye, it was my childhood home, Mr Rice claims it to be a rectory, it is not a rectory and never has been and not likely to be! The 'map' on the inside cover is farcical and an insult. If he claims to be such a big fan of Norfolk - I suggest he spends more time in getting his facts correct about it. I have lived here all my life and feel I know my county considerably better than Mr Rice, who in my opinion should stick to illustrating calendars.
on 22 September 2013
...architectural journey through Norfolk. His missis knocks out some nice china and keeps Stoke going and he's crafted a beautiful book
on 16 February 2014
Love England, its art, history, architecture and people. Matthew Rice's books check all those boxes,
and reading his books is like having a great friend along the trip.
on 28 May 2016
Clearly written, beautifully illustrated. It's like being there, with a knowlegable guide at your side.