on 18 July 2001
Too many garden books these days are blighted both by pockets of bad taste and by dreary colour schemes. You cannot accuse Sarah Raven of either of these. Her favoured flowers are stunning and her sense of colour does what all gardens should do-cheer you up. Her selection is quite tight, which prevents confusion-a great asset. In addition, the book is clearly set out, with simple guidance as to which plants are suitable for a)early and late flowering b)shady or sunny ground. Lastly, the photographs are superb so that, even if you are a novice (like me) the book is, quite simply, a beautiful read.
on 25 November 2001
Having borrowed this book from my local library several months ago and renewed it so many times I feel guilty, I've come to realise that I simply must buy this book. Having read it cover to cover and gazed at the gorgeous pictures, I now dip into it in on a regular basis for reference and ideas. This book is full of suggestions for filling your garden with a riot of colour and dramatic foliage with sections on suggestions for damp, dry, sunny and shady areas with helpful planting plans. Not a book for those who like their gardens sedate and pastel coloured but for everyone else it really is a must have book. Honestly one of the best gardening book I have ever read.
0Comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2009
This stunningly illustrated book will give you lots of ideas for unusual plant and colour combinations. There are also planting schemes and diagrams, advice for using different areas of the garden and getting the best out of your garden in every season. Get away from pastels and think orange, blue, purple! And if you aren't a gardener just get it for the sheer feel good factor of all the gorgeous pictures.
on 1 July 2010
I ordered this book and it came yesterday.
I was initially unsure whether to order it because I thought perhaps it would be too much substance with hardly any photos or too many photos with not enough substance. I am pleased to say it is the perfect mix of both. The photos are fantastic and very inspiring and there is plenty of good writing about planting ideas,colours she uses, schemes, plant varieties etc
To the reviewer who was unhappy the photos werent from Sarah's own garden - WHO CARES!!! They are so good and illustrate the case for this kind of gardening perfectly.
This is a book i know i will be pulling out time and time again to give me ideas for planting. Would reccommend thoroughly.
on 31 October 2009
This is a great book, and would inspire anybody, especially flower arrangers, to grow the brilliant 'colourways' in their own gardens - from seed to table arrangement; much more rewarding and fun than buying them in flower shops, where they are normally very expensive.
on 5 October 2011
I absolutely love this book and wish I had more on a similar vein. As an enthusiastic gardener, I've thoroughly enjoyed it as an inspiration for areas of the garden within my overall design. While I would have liked more photos of the overall composition of the gardens in which the plants featured, I don't regret my purchase for one moment as it is packed with new and exciting combinations, full of colour, texture and all in all, thoroughly inspiring. The book describes different seasons and the key players providing interest throughout the year. My favourite thing to try and attempt this early spring is the forced rhubarb, wallflower foliage and deep purple and hot pink hyacinths. Annuals, bulbs and biennials are useful to flesh out what can be somewhat desiccated looking borders of bland bush-blobs with their lush foliage and flowers, and this book is perfect for breaking the over-sold, over simplified G. Jekyll pastel palette.
on 9 March 2011
the bold and beautiful garden by sarah raven is a most spectactular book to own. i found it by chance while browsing through my favourite site . . . amazon. the details of the book were enough to persuade me to purchase it especially as i coiuld open the pages and read some of it, but when it arrived i was blown away with the colours and advice on how to achieve the look m yself - have started to revamp my patch. i ordered the book and had an instant email to acknowledge same, my book was despatched immediately and i had it in my hands a few days later and what a treat awaited me, i thank amazon and sarah raven for this treasured book which i cant leave down.
on 23 September 2011
I can't put this book down. Sarah Raven knows her stuff. Just the pictures are wonderful as a coffee table book. I have gained so much inspiraton from this book though and as I am changing my garden around at the moment will be incorporating many of her planting plans into mine. I am fed up with "safe" gardening of greys, whites and pale colours and she shows you how to go as bold as you want. An absolutely brilliant book for an experienced gardener or one just starting out. Worth every penny!
on 1 July 2011
This book written by Sarah Raven is an essential purchase for anyone with a love for contemporary gardening. Plenty of advice given ~ if the plants could speak, I am sure they would wish Sarah well in her Crusade on their behalf ! !

Well done Sarah !
More such advice is needed and requested.
on 27 October 2016
Fabulous in every sense of the word!
I adore leafing through this book on a wet and wild day, imagining adding plants to my boarders.
Lots of plant lists, how to plant and combinations. A real Gem.