Customer reviews

on 8 November 2000
This is a excellent and thrilling book.That grips you from the begining to the end it has superb illustrations. It is an old Folk tale from chile with a fasinating story of how mariana bought up a merchild that was washed on the shore.Mariana was told by the Merchild's mother the sea spirit to protect the Merchild from the sea wolves. This is a gripping book and is Definately well worth reading.
on 28 April 2009
This is one of my favourite children's stories of all time. Wonderfully female centred and with incredibly beautiful and accurately observed illustrations which celebrate the magic of the mother baby daughter relationship and the magic of the sea. I wish there were more books like this!
on 4 November 2001
This book tells the tale of a lonely old woman who finds a merbaby. The text is beautiful and sensitive, but what set this book apart are the haunting illustrations. Jackie Morris has created a work of art on every page, and the expressions of the mermaid and her baby are truly wonderful. This book is a must for anyone who believes in breastfeeding and for anyone who loves to see the beauty of mother-baby relationships depicted in art and literature.
on 20 November 2014
Originally I got this book for my then 4 year old from the library, but she loved it so much that I eventually bought it. I still read it to her most weeks. Charming story with really nice illustrations. That's it, really.
on 4 December 2012
I guess you either like Jackie Morris's style of illustration or you don't. I happen to like it a lot. The tale is great and my daughter loves it to pieces, often re-enacting being a mer-child herself in the bath as a result of loving this story so much. We orginally had this out of the library - months overdue, if not years, we've now let them have it back now we've got our own copy. Wonderful and magical.