Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 23 January 2014
As time goes by it gets harder and harder to find good quality pictures of steam that haven't been published before, particularly in colour. With all the photos in the Colour Rail collection I'm pretty sure a better selection could have been achieved though. A lot of the photos just aren't good enough for publication with a lot either very grainy or slightly out of focus and there are a lot of long distance shots where the subject matter is just too far away to enjoy. Probably the best photo of the book is the front cover - possibly deliberate to entice us to buy it. There are some photos of interest but just not enough. I have to say the text is not overwhelming either, more detail would have been nice. Generally it has the feel of a book that has not had the time spent on it and has been thrown together in a bit of a rush. If you can pick it up for around £10 on Amazon, which I did then it's ok but at £20 for full price - sorry it is a rip off.
on 10 January 2014
Well sometimes it feels uncomfortable to speak the truth,this is one of those occasions.After receiving near rave reviews along with other books ordered for xmas I included this one.(They are usually to myself as my kids dont like buying railway books anymore)Anyway enough of that,published by Ian Allan,the content isnt, okay, always correct but over the last forty years I have come to expect better.To be perfectly honest I found most of the pictures dark and of not a good quality reproduction of what would have presumably been from original slides.Colour Rail have a reputation for quality,I dont think this book does them any favours at all with this.Sorry for sounding so negative and it isnt as though I only purchase an occasional book,I probably have ,400 plus Ian Allan titles alone ,I justy cant recommend this,,,,,,,,,,,,,John Wade
on 12 January 2014
Got this for my birthday from the wife at my request. I asked for it on the strength of Colour Rail Journey.
I'm disappointed with it many of the pictures are flat, dark or blurred. There also appears to be a disproportionate amount of picture from the old Western Region. Its in the bookcase and probably wont be out again.
on 5 July 2014
Flicking through this book when it arrived, I was surprised by pictures of varying quality with many I would have despatched to the editing floor. However, this book's value is both in the age of many of the colour pictures and their captions - Paul Chancellor really does bring the scene alive with his non-technical and informative commentary.

With 1 or 2 exceptions, these pictures (I dont think) have been published before and, whilst not technically brilliant, they tell a story of a bygone age. Having said that, there are some stunning shots as well like the T9 at Wadebridge and many more.

Sadly, this is printed in Bulgaria (cant we print these books in the UK anymore?) to Ian Allan's new book format which does not lend itself to reproducing large pictures, so plenty of white space on pages.

A book to be enjoyed.
on 19 March 2017
Not as good as I was expecting from the cover but well received anyway.
on 14 November 2016
An excellent anthology of Colour-Rail photos with good quality printing
on 17 November 2015
Wonderful, worth it for the cover photo alone.
on 4 August 2014
Great photographs well worth purchasing.
on 18 December 2013
This book pulls together a good selection of colour images from the final years of the steam age. Well worth the purchase price.
on 1 August 2014
Plenty of scope, I presume, for further publications in this vein from the same source. Well assembled photographic material.