on 21 October 2013
I read up on a lot of London History as my own family lived around the east end in Georgian times, and this book was well researched and written. I learnt a lot and bought a copy for my mum as well.
on 16 August 2011
This is an absolutely fascinating read, detailing the history of Dorset Street, and the surrounding Spitalfields area. It would be easy for such a history to become bogged down by the sensationalism surrounding Jack the Ripper, and while Rule devotes a sizeable section to the 1888 murders, she manages to approach them with a rational head, and from the point of view of the community, as opposed to the rabid press or frustrated police. It follows a highly readable narrative, and really brings the area alive for casual readers and amateur historians alike.
on 20 February 2017
I found this book fascinating as my ancestors were Huguenot silk weavers whose descendants lived in the area for many years. A really interesting overview of social history in London.
on 22 August 2014
A thorough and very interesting social history of Spitalfields. This area of London has been home for several waves of immigrants and the book charts it's ups and downs. Recommended.
on 30 May 2014
The book is excellent as it is based on the area where I was born, bred and hunted. I learnt a great deal about the area and intend to return to explore more fully my home area.
on 5 August 2015
I thought this book was fantastic, one of the best books I have read in a long time. I am not a great reader but found this book so gripping I couldn't put it down.
on 13 April 2015
Thank you Fiona for bringing this troubled area of London alive. It is not an are known to me, but I shall be looking closely when I do visit the area.
on 20 February 2014
I thought the author's approach made this a very readable and informative book. Some of the facts were amazing and she brought the characters to life.
on 19 May 2013
This is a well reserched, packed full with brillant discriptions of Londen. I will reread this book as there is so much to take in.
on 9 December 2014
Brilliant book my ancestors lived around Dorset Street. I am a Londoner but never knew the history of the area. It is an eye opener.