on 13 November 2015
One of the main attractions of Scandinavian thrillers and Nordic Noir is that they are written by Scandinavians: they bring to the table their own particular cultures, idiosyncrasies and styles to create a unique atmosphere. It would therefore be very hard for any British author to recreate the same mood as first rate Scandinavia authors so it came as no big surprise that this was not a classic of the genre. The characters were ok but limited - apparently the blond Swedish police detective has a nice arse but then again so does the barmaid in my local pub!
My biggest problem with the book was the ending - as some other reviewers have commented there was no logical journey whereby the Inspector tracked down and teased out the critical fact that scuppered the guilty party, virtually anyone in the book could have been the murderer and the ending left me feeling like I had wasted my time for little benefit.
On the plus side, the Scottish journalist had a good sense of humour and it was nice to get a bit of a travelogue about Malmo but I won't be rushing out to buy the next in the series.
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2017
This is the first novel I have read by Torquil MacLeod.

The plot of the novel is played out between Sweden and the North East of England , (where Torquil MacLeod was born).
Two good friends from the same university meet up again in Malma after loosing touch for many years, only to discover that tragedy, once again follows them.

I did enjoy "Meet Me in Malmo" but felt it was a little tame. There are twists and turns into the plot but I found it very easy to see through them. It certainly isn't a Steig Larsson or a Jo Nesbo.
on 5 June 2017
Well written, with good grammar and punctuation, so that I could read it fluently without frequently having to double-check for meanings.
An absorbing story, with believable characters and plenty of red herrings, although - without giving too much away - the final twist is not entirely convincing. Thanks to the time the author has spent there, the descriptive passages evoke a vivid picture of Malmo and Swedish life.
Not as extreme as some Scandi-noir, but none the worse for that.
on 1 June 2014
Despite the Swedish setting, this is not Nordic Noir. The author is British and this is a classic crime story. While I was reading it, I thought it was a promising beginning to the series. True, the writing is a bit clunky and the dialogue could be much sharper, but it seemed to be well-plotted with interesting characters. However, as other posters have said, the ending is terrible, with no explanation of why, or even how, the crime was committed. I rather too hastily downloaded another in the series, but It will be a while before I read it - if I ever do.
on 29 May 2017
So it takes all sorts to like a good read, or not? Well I loved it. Escapism at its very best with more twists and turns the a snake rattling through a tree. A lovely English link and cliff hangers to keep you on the edge of you literary seat. Having read all 6 books now. The characters are well developed but don't get too close to any of them. Enough said.
on 24 May 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Plenty of twists in the plot. The ending was a bit flat though, hence only 4*. Do we get to see the murderer get his comeuppance in the next book I wonder, or are we to be left dangling never knowing one way or the other 😕.
on 17 March 2017
The denoument was rather difficult to believe, but the book is well-written and slots in very nicely to the current vogue for Scandinavian settings. I will certainly try another in the series.
on 5 May 2013
I love a good crime novel and this one started slowly and grew on me. The characters are a fine blend of detectives and the English interlopers from Durham. The author builds slowly and shows a gradual collection of evidence and clues leading to various conclusions. I went straight on to Murder in Malmo.
on 18 March 2017
Probably the stupidest ending I have ever come across in a book, but all in all not too bad a read...
on 2 May 2017
Wow...really had me wanting to read more. Loved the twists and turns, had not expected some of them