Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 August 2013
The author looks at Jane Austen's use of language in this fascinating book - fascinating that is for anyone who enjoys Jane Austen's writing. She illustrates Austen's use of words by plentiful quotations from the texts of the novels. What I found most useful was the information about how the meanings of words have changed since the early nineteenth century.

Some of the words examined are, Sense, Sensibility and Sentiment; Gentility; Propriety and Decorum as well as Air and Address and Reason and Feeling. The author, in the process of looking at Jane Austen's language also looks at some of the main characters in the novels and gave me food for thought over some of the characters.

What I've always liked about Jane Austen's novels is that however many times you read them you can still see something new every time you read them. Reading books like this which examine the novels in details also helps me to see things in the novels from a different perspective. There is also a useful bibliography at the end of the book.
6 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 6 February 2016
So Interesting xx
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 10 August 2012
I haven't read this because it isn't available in the USA so I'm wondering if there are plans to publish it over here or if I need to order it in the UK? I would love to give a review but, as you can tell, I can't.
|22 Comments|Report abuse