Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2017
Lovely little book, and I like the way it is written.
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2009
"Hedge Witch" is a moderately interesting book written in the form of numerous letters from a witch to her two apprentices. The book gives details of how all of the various Sabbats and Esbats should be celebrated .It also describes how a witch's "trance work" should be conducted and gives insight into the rather bizarre characters of the "Goddess" and the "Horned God", the witches deities. "Hedge Witch" is a book about Paganism really, a credible alternative religion to the mainstream ones on offer today. This book should be of interest to wannabe witches who aren't in a coven and those like myself who are curious about what witches believe in and what they get up to of an evening.
on 24 December 2000
This book is gentle, earthy, informative and sincere. The personal; approach makes it very easy to both read and relate to. The step by step buildup of information, tying the content to the moons and seasonal festivals is extremely useful. I read it after many years of Wiccan practice, and I still found something fresh and thought provoking. For an absolute beginner to witchcraft, Hedgewitch is a safe, ethical and inspiring introduction to the Craft.
on 19 April 2003
In normal circumstances I can't stand collections of "Letters" but this form suits the subject of celebrating the Sabbats beautifully. Rae Beth writes in her customary lyrical style without compromising content.
This is not a manual on witchcraft in the strictest sense and there is emphasis on developing a very personal relationship with the Deities and the turning of the seasons. There are also some very useful meditation techniques.
Rea Beth manages to comunicate the flexibity and spontineity that the Solitary Witch can enjoy and that is an idea that is sometimes lost in other books on witchcraft that spell out rites in minute and uncompromising detail.

This book is interesting to me as it describes the story of Rae Beth's year and we also learn a little about her real students. I would recommend that anyone, including non-pagans, read this. There are lesson here that can be carried over to any celebration.
on 28 January 2012
I was revisting a Yule Episode of River Cottage in which Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall was looking for his Yule log and consulted his local Hedge Witch on the matter which lead me to this book being found. I settled on Rea's book after rejecting other books that were way too Wiccian.
The print format is good and allows me to underline and make notes on her lessons to her 2 friends.I will heartily recommend this book for those are new to the craft.
The Only negatives I have are that the need of a hedgewitch to have his/her feet firmley rooted into the land itself and that Plant and weatherlore is not addressed and that she refers to the Burning times which in England,Wales and the American Colonies never happened!,
Burning did happen on the Continent and in Scotland but that was more for heresy(if your were Catholic)than Witchcraft. As a ex-Coven witch I found this a good book overall!
on 3 March 2004
This was one of the first books I read on the subject of Witchcraft and the Wiccan year, I still use it as a reference book to remind me as the year goes by how to celebrate each Sabbat and times inbetween. Rae Beth has a very earthy approach to Witchcraft, and I can identify with that. This is cerainly one book that should be on every Witch's book shelf, and if the reader is unable to visit the countyside on a regular basis then this book will make sure that you do!
on 11 August 2000
This book helped me find my feet on the Wiccan path, I can't imagine being without this book now. In some places the words were so stong it made me feel really emotional it was like suddenly finding somebody who just knew what you needed to hear. It is in letter form and you can imagine the letters being sent to you. It encourages free thought on the Wiccan religion which is what we all need, the rituals she includes, she encourages you to adapt to suit yourself which to a solitary witch wondering "Is this right?" when feeling the need to change something, is a great comfort. The only problem is a lack of an index, annoying when you want to go right to something. If you want to set off on this path then really this is the guide book you need.
Blessed Be
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2009
I was bought this as a gift many years ago and being a Natural Witch it didn't actually appeal to me. I did read it though and have to say it is a well written piece of work that will probably appeal more to Wiccans than Witches as Rae Beth seems to be a bit of stickler for doing 'this the right way' and 'that the right way'. Written in the form of letters to two people seeking to become Initiates it tends to veer off course at times.

There are better books out there for the learner.
on 20 November 1999
You may have already read this review, saying that this is an excellent book for those starting out on the Old Path but for Rae Beth fans to beware. A touch of deja vu is inevitable because this is an alternate printing of her book 'The Wiccan Path'. If you haven't already bought that one, then go for this by all means ... It is very worthwhile having either one in your collection.
on 21 April 2001
For beginning witches like myself, this is a fabulous buy. The letters inside are so personal, it seems as if Rae is speaking to you directly. Solitary witchcraft can become an isolated and personal practice (not always bad), and this book reminds us all that there are more of us out there, who although are not part of a coven or organisation, can find support in a rich wiccan community.