on 11 March 2011
The product decription poses several questions, which led me to believe they would be answered in the book. "What is it like to wait on Death row for years, can you build relationships in that harsh environment?" Apart from the introduction,which posed more questions,the book failed to answer any of these questions,or even attempt to address these issues.
Instead we are given the 'cold' facts that have been recounted in numerous books(he must have read'Serial Killers'by William Murray) not always accurately;in the Timothy McVeigh chapter he at first relates him spending the rest of his days in a Federal Institution and subsequently how he was executed.
Reading the book hoping to gain some insight into the mind of those sentenced to death(specifically the innocent),I was none the wiser after I had read it. I felt that a precis of each case leading up to their death sentence would have been sufficient, and more research done into the suffering(or otherwise) and conditions of death row inmates that the title and pre-amble suggested.
All in all,it did not do what it said on the tin.
on 2 September 2011
I read the one other review for this book and was hesitant to buy it but looking at the price i thought i would give it a go and im glad i did. Ive read hundreds of books on true crime and this was one of the best books ive read. It went into depth about what each person did to their victims (not for the faint hearted) and explained every detail about the murders and the killers background and how they grew up. I also liked how the book was laid out into sections. I am away to purchase another of Bill Wallaces books 'on the rampage' and hopefully will be as happy with that book as i was with this one. Worth a read for true crime fanatics!
on 11 July 2010
This is not a bad book. It just doesn't deliver what it promises. There is nothing in this book about what it is like for people living on death row. There are no interviews with condemned men and women and no descriptions of what death row is like. I had expected a series of interviews with inmates and exonorees describing what day to day life is like on death row. What we have instead is an interesting collection of stories about famous killers, anarchists and traitors which is divided up into four sections. There is a section about people who are serving life without the possibility of parole, the second section covers notable executions, the third tells of notable killers who are currently on death row and the final section looks at women on death row. There are some inaccuracies within the book - John Wayne Gacy and Aileen Wuornos were not executed in the electric chair for example. I will, however, say that I enjoyed reading the book as it contained some interesting accounts of famous cases such as Sacco and Vanzetti, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and William Kemmler. I would recommend this book to people who do not have an in depth knowledge of famous capital cases and who wish to read about some of them.
on 30 December 2011
Life on Death Row ..... Hmmmmmmm.
Here in the Uk we don't have capital punishment yet on the cover is serial killer Dennis Nielsen! Im very surprised that the people who bought this book never clicked straight away that it was going to be rubbish!
on 29 September 2013
I can hardly put into words what Cr@p this book is.If you took a random selection of Murderers
(all the British ones and a lot of the American ones are not and never will be on Death Row ,so the very title of the book is a deceptive farce)
As I say if you took this list and went to Wikipedia and copied down a short synopsis of the crime and perpetrator,you would end up with this book.(that's as in depth as it goes)
But I am sure even we would not have been so sloppy with the facts.
For instance go to chapter 1
the first example the author gives a guys date of birth and date of death and manages to conclude his age at death wrongly by several years,just a small example of the meticulous research done.
The book has committed its own capital offence by killing so many innocent trees for no good reason.....................
on 27 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book as I like reading about true crime. It's interesting to read how people of all walks of life turn to all types of crime for various reasons, whether it be for money, status or for no reason at all.
on 8 January 2013
I really enjoyed this after recommended by a friend. Hard to put down and full of bits I did not know.
I was expecting thoughts of what it's like to be on Death Row though which the book did not contain.
on 29 March 2012
As others have pointed out, errors are legion throughout this book.

Execrable spelling with a tenuous grip on grammar and punctuation. This is a shocking indictment of the proof readers and publishing house.

But can we rely on the accuracy of the 'case histories'?

Regrettably, we cannot!

The death penaltywas abolished in the UK by 1968, which means, of course, that the likes of Sutcliffe and Nilson have never had to live with a death penalty hanging over them.
on 16 May 2012
This was a book I just couldn't put down. It was such an interesting read. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone.
on 16 February 2011
But not well written. There are lots of spelling mistakes but I have enjoyed reading this book.
Doesn't look as if it's been proof read.
There are lots of stories of recent and not so recent murders which I thought was quite good.