Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 21 April 1999
This is a book that stays with you! I read this book just the once, 10 years ago, and it has been a part of me ever since. The story centres around the life of a Celtic girl, Epona. We witness her growing understanding of herself as she develops into womanhood in the tribe and begins to become more aware of certain gifts (namely Druidic powers)that she holds. Her life changes with the death of her father and as she fights against the growing pressure to devote her life to becoming a druid. Eventually to escape the unwanted demands being placed on her, she flees her settlement, escaping with a group of Russian traders. We then follow her journey across the lands and into a new world. Needless to say the story doesn't end there, but I don't want to spoil any more of the gripping plot for you, so I won't go into any more details. Suffice to say that it will keep you enthralled. The book however is so much more than just being an excellent work of fiction. When I read it I thought that was all there was to it. Even so it did instill in me a fascination for the Celtic culture which has remained ever since. When on holiday in Austria shortly afterwards I heard of an old Celtic town, Hallstatt, which was also famous for its ancient salt mines, I began to get very excited. A Celtic settlement at the foot of a salt mountain with the waters of a misty lake lapping at its shores brought back distinct memories of the book I had just read. As I discovered more and more in the town I realised that this, without a doubt, had been used as the basis of the Celtic settlement in the book. As I have learned more about Celtic history over the years I have discovered of course that the Hallstatt Celts were one of the most significant eras and places of Celtic dominence. As for Epona, she has her place in Celtic lore too - she was indeed the Horse Goddess, one of the revered celtic deities, worshipped by many, including other famous Celtic figures such as Boudicca and her Iceni tribe. This is the story that creates her life for us, merging fact, fiction and myth together in a mystical and fascinating way.
on 12 December 1998
I finished Horse Goddess recently after not being able to put the book down. Morgan Llywelyn out does herself with this book. She manages to bring to life a period that is shrouded in the mists of time. I hope to hear more from Ms. Llywelyn and I highly recommend this book!
on 25 December 1998
This is a book I could not put down! I read it from beginning to end in one sitting, it was that good. I love all of Ms. Llywelyn's books but this is a particular favorite. I also recommend reading "Druids" as well if you enjoy "The Horse Goddess."
on 26 October 2013
Bought as a replacement for my very old dog eared copy, I first read this book nearly 30 years ago, and have read it so
much that my paperback is falling apart. So I ordered a hardback copy, which is fine, but the dust jacket is in very poor condition, so may recycle that. However the story of Epona is as magical as ever, and although I have learned much more about Celtic Mythology in the intervening years, but Kernunnos is. still a frightening figure in this story. I recommend The Horse Goddess to anyone!
on 1 September 2009
This book is well written and gives a wonderful picture of life in the Keltic tribe and of Epona. It keeps you wanting to read more and the description of rituals and how life may have been then is gripping. Learning about the life of Epona and of her tibe is exciting and makes you think this is how it may have been in reality. For a fiction book this is how you thoink history may have been, I will re-read it as it holds so much that I hold close to my heart.
on 6 July 1998
I have followed Morgan Llywelyn's work for several years now and finally, I got hold of The Horse Goddess. It did not disappoint --- Ms. Llywelyn has a way of taking the reader away, and making her feel and share in Epona's and Khazak's life and adventures. It is a wonderful story, exploring the beginning of the Celtic ways and traditions, even before the magical Irish and British Celts. I can't wait for the next one!
on 12 June 1998
Have just finished this book and was felt so much a part of it. The jouney of Epona was brought to life by the author. I have just recently become aware of Morgan Llywelyn and must say that each of her books makes me want more.So glad I found her.
on 26 June 1998
I read The Horse Goddess many years ago & have always wanted to recommend it. THG is Llywelyn at her best with strong characters riding history, rather than the other way around.
on 5 September 1999
This is the second book I have read by this author (Druids was the other) and I really enjoyed it. The depictions of early Celtic and Scythian life were very interesting and the plot was riveting. The characters were very real and believable, even though some of the things they could do stretched the imagination. The most exciting thing was to realize that these legends had their roots in actual history. I could hardly put the book down.
on 25 July 2015
I love everything this lady writes! This was no exception, except after months trekking across Europe on horseback with the characters to the Ukranian Steppes and back again, I was as weary as they were!, That notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed it