Customer reviews

on 6 April 2017
There wasn't anything that I didn't like about this book. At first I was hesitant to read this book for two reasons. 1. I didn't like the film, and 2. I don't usually like to read books with under 300 pages as I find them too quick a read.

But I REALLY enjoyed this book as it gives FAR more information and background on storyline, characters and the alien intruder. I saw some reviews complaining that it ended too quickly but, I don't see that it could have ended any other way. The book is well written by Mr Star Trek himself Gene Roddenberry, so if your a fan of Star Trek the original series and you like the books, then you can't go wrong with this book.

I give it 5 stars as in my opinion it more than deserves them. I REALLY enjoyed it and I'm now going to start Star Trek ||: The Wrath of Khan.

However, I wanted to read all of the TOS Star Trek movie tie in novels in order, and I'm glad that I did, this book has FAR more detail than the movie (as you would expect of course), but the book gives the reader more background to the story, the characters, the places, basically everything, AND its written by Mr Star Trek himself, Gene Rodden
on 1 November 2013
This story was well written and featured a lot of action. I thought that since the story was written in 1970's or 1980's that the version would be dated and the story hard to follow. I was pleasantly surprised. Gene Roddenberry does know the Star Trek mythos quite well! I was slightly disappointed about the length of the book. 206 pages is too short especially for a story dealing with its themes. A little more could have been made at the end. The story could have ended less abruptly. Overall it was a good novelization of the movie but could have been longer.
on 1 August 2015
As a massive fan of TOS and TAS I loved this book. So much. I can't say how well it holds itself as an alternative to the film, since I've seen TMP so many times that it's difficult for me to distinguish between what I was just remembering vs what was actually there. However as an addition to the film I LOVE IT. There are so many elements that we get more info on, like the characters thoughts and contextual information of the universe. Not to mention the brilliant characterisation of Dr Chapel.
on 18 August 2015
An occasionally smug but engrossing retelling of the film, adding backstory and extra-dimension to the story. I miss the days when the novelisation of a film tried to be a good book, and not just a quick cash-in.
on 12 June 2014
I really like Star Trek, but The Motion Picture always seemed a little... well, slow and boring in places so it's not one of my favourite Star Trek films, but I decided to try out the novelisation. I obviously knew what was going to happen before reading it, but that didn't stop it from being enjoyable. The only criticism I would have is that there was a long build-up and then it all seemed to end very quickly. I think it's a great complement to the film though.
on 30 January 2014
Well it's the first Star Trek movie in book form . Some slight differences as usual between a book & film . Ok for any fan .
on 6 January 2017
Excellent!!!!
on 30 January 2015
a nice book
on 23 October 2014
I enjoyed this book when it first came out and it was good to read again. Book packaging was in good condition when it arrived, fast delivery.
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2008
Titan Books continue their series of novels based on Classic Star Trek with #14: Star Trek The Motion Picture written by Star Trek's creator himself - Gene Roddenberry.
Most novelisations of a film are usually somewhat dull, often filled with random thoughts on what the author believes the character is thinking. However, this novel is absolutely first rate. After all, who knows the crew of the Enterprise better than the man who created them in the first place.
As much as I like the original Star Trek The Motion Picture, this novel actually reads more like the latest `director's cut' of the film and as such it is more satisfying than the original screenplay.
The story is classic Trek, a massive energy cloud is heading on a direct course to Earth and the only ship within interception range is the Enterprise. There are problems however as the ship is just finishing a massive refit, the systems are untested and the warp drive is not ready. Kirk, now an Admiral, uses the current crisis to get back command of the Enterprise, much to Captain Decker's (son of Matt Decker from TOS's The Doomsday Machine) disgust and the ship has only two days to stop the alien menace before it destroys the planet.
Roddenberry expands on all the characters in the novel and gives a nice amount of back story to fill in the events between the end of the Enterprise's first five year mission and now. Kirk's missions within the Admiralty are alluded to and his relationship with Admiral Lori Ciana also make a certain event have more impact and this in turn leads to a connection with the series of Classic Trek books which cover `the lost years' between the original series and this movie.
The characters of Matt Decker and Ilia are also given a fair amount of coverage in the story, slightly more so than in the film and again this makes certain elements of the plot have more meaning later on.
The dialogue itself is almost word for word as it is in the film but there are a couple of sequences in the novel which never made it to the final cut. The infamous crystalline antibodies inside V'Ger make a couple of appearances but the much talked about `memory wall' sequence which made it into the Marvel Comics adaptation is also absent here.
The story is a quick read, partially because you may have seen the film and also because Roddenberry keeps the pace going and avoids lengthy descriptions and keeps to the story focused.
A great novel and a must have for any Trek library.