on 8 April 2015
This was the first cookery book I ever bought and I was delighted to find a copy of the original edition, having lost mine several house moves ago. It's a book very much of its time - cooks had more time back then to create elaborate dishes and the exotic ingredients we take so much for granted today are largely missing. But the basic techniques are spot on and still relevant today, making this a good reference book for inexperienced cooks. The end papers contain a glossary of cookery terms and a series of tips on rescuing culinary disasters which are extremely useful. The book was lavishly produced in full colour and leafing through the pictures was a delight - my favourite, the three-tier wedding cake (which only has two tiers in the picture!) still makes me smile.
This book might have been superseded by more recent tomes but it will always have a place on my cookery bookshelf. Even if you don't cook much from it, it's still a fascinating trip back to the cookery of the 70s and well worth seeking out.
on 20 January 2008
Perfect cooking is just what it says its easy to understand and their are lots of infomation in it should things go wrong.
someone bought me this book for my 21st birthday which i thought at the time was a little strange but i am glad they did because now i have a family and children and we love cooking there are full menues to follow and coloured pictures to see. There are meals for slimming and cooking in a hurry,picnics and partys, Iwill never get rid of this book it will be passed down to my daughter and i hope her daughter.
on 6 July 2012
I won this book as a prize at school many years ago and cherished it for twenty five years .. it got lost among a myriad of other material possessions which don't matter in the greater scheme , when I fled an abusive relationship ..I fled with the clothes on my back ... am in a better place now and building a new life for myself .. so happy to bring this to my new home/haven
on 13 January 2012
This was my very first cookery book, bought nearly 40 years ago at a time when I should have been buying dull university books! Though I did in fact graduate, I have to say that I have made infinitely more use of this book over the years than the university books, and my cookery collection is now threatening to push me from my home. It truly delighted me as a young, green cook and gave me the confidence to try not only the basic recipes provided, but many of the variations suggested too, and to realise that recipes are there simply as a springboard. I was devastated recently when I realised that it had gone missing, which is why I now find myself desperately scanning the internet for a replacement ... surely confirmation that it's a book worth buying!
on 16 March 2016
I was given this cookbook for a wedding present, I have had this book with me all these years and still use it today. When my daughter got married, this was the first cookbook that I thought about for her. It has everything in it from the perfect sandwich to a full roast beef dinner as well as cakes and biscuits. It is a fantastic book for the new housewife that never bothered learning to cook because mum did it all.
on 25 October 2013
This is one of several books I have been trying to tracj down. In this day and age of frugal housekeeping, it is good to have a book that contains recipes using easy to find ingredients rather that obscure and therefore, expensive ingredients that many celebrity chef endosed books tend to call for. This book will be well used.
on 30 January 2009
Maguerite Patten provides the definitive "old-fashioned" but basic cookbook, which is a must for anyone who wishes to start with the most fundamental and basic cookery.
Out-dated language in today's computer speak world, but an absolute delight to read and use!
on 25 January 2015
Bought as a replacement to my girlfriends mums first ever cooking book after the new puppy got hold of it.... Still useful though!
on 7 October 2014
Good service and a replacement of my wife's long dog-eared copy. Very good quality with minimal wear. Would use this vendor again.
on 13 October 2013
An old cook book I already have, this one was for my friend. Although "vintage" it was in excellent condition