on 15 February 2014
A friend gave me this book as a present. I've always admired Brian Sewell, but had no idea that he liked dogs. Having warmed my bed with a comforting canine for many years, I found the title immediately appealing. I expected to enjoy this combination of dogs, with Sewell's wit and beautiful prose, but it exceeded my expectations. I'm now reading it for the second time. Witty and humorous, it often made me laugh aloud. Perceptive and elegantly written, I often stopped to re-read a passage, for the sheer pleasure of it. But what impressed me most about this book was the fact that Sewell succeeds not only in making the reader understand his love for each of the dogs - he makes us share that love. The vividness and detail of his memories of each of them are so remarkable that we encounter them as individuals with all their funny, endearing, odd, exasperating peculiarities, and finally we too mourn the deaths of Penny, Ginny, Jack, and so on. By the time you finish the book, you love each and every one of Sewell's dogs, and very probably you will, like me, have fallen in love with Sewell himself.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2013
I bought this book for my husband. This is his review:

This is about the non-judgmental love Brian Sewell gets from his dogs and how he will go to the ends of the earth for them. He brought one dog with a broken leg all the way back from Turkey and smuggled it back into the country in his rucksack. Sewell bonds more with dogs than humans and I don’t blame him! A very enjoyable book.
22 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2013
I am in the midst of reading it as I treated myself for Christmas ... it is a must for dog lovers and lovers of mongrels in particular and also for fans of this wonderfully bright and amusing man -
on 10 March 2017
As a dog lover and owner of dogs past and present I enjoyed every page of this book. Empathized when a dog died, know too well how that feels. Also enjoyed reading about the various dogs characters and traits. Written with humour and understanding.
on 1 February 2014
If you love dogs you will love this. Brian Sewell's typically idiosyncratic bio-dography - lovely waggy tails & stories, I was sad to come to the end!
on 30 January 2014
I would recommend this book to any dog lover and to anyone who loves animals. brian sewell is a talented and compassionate writer
on 10 July 2017
One of the most beautiful books I have read. I got the impression that Brian Sewell was cold and unkind, until I read this book about his love for dogs. His heart is as big as a house and his affinity with dogs knows no bounds. A man who takes the time to stop and look, and treat dogs with such understanding and loyalty (without being sentimental, as we see too often confused with 'love') has won me over
on 15 November 2013
An inspirational insight from such a cynic

Lovely stories full of compassion and love

Biggest literary surprise in 2013

A very good Christmas present
on 22 February 2014
A good friend sent us this book, shortly before we very suddenly lost our own, beloved dog. Reading it helped me make sense of my own grief and for that I shall remain eternally grateful to Mr Sewell.
on 23 February 2016
A beautiful little book, by turns hilarious, poignant, and occasionally heartbreaking. Sewell's elegant prose is a joy to read, his anecdotes are vivid and his love and understanding of his dogs shines out of every page. This book was a well-judged gift from a dog-loving friend, and having finished it I am looking forward to reading Sewell's "main" autobiographies.