on 23 February 2010
I'm a core trainee in Psychiatry and have recently been recommended this book, and having starting to read it I can see why I was told to buy it!

It begins by describing the fundamental concepts of descriptive pathology, and goes on to be divided into clear, useful sections tackling consciousness and cognition; disorders of time/perception/judgement; disorders of self; emotions and action; variations in human nature, and diagnosis. I have found most of the chapters highly readable, and some areas which weren't very clear to me before are simply explained. You could almost read it from start to finish, as well as easily dipping in and out of chapters.

It can be a little drawn out in places, and it could have more tables/diagrams etc to break up the text, but overall I think this book should be read by every trainee. Not only is it useful for our everyday practice, but it is also a key text for the MRCPsych exams.
on 3 June 2015
The go to book for descriptive psychopathology. Should be a essential on all psychiatrist's book list. well written and updated from previous edition that I had. Nice to have it in Kindle form to take with me on Iphone and Kindle.
on 3 September 2009
Sims has produced the definitive guide to descriptive psychopathology, this version is edible and comprehensive therefore a must for any trainee in psychiatry
on 1 December 2010
this was recommended to be by a lecturer, whose own excellence blew me away. an excellent book which couldn't have been written any better. it really brings to light the reality and humanity of psychiatry. greatly empathetic and sympathetic.
on 30 August 2011
On the whole very informative however a lot of the legislation noted is obviously now out of date. My bone of contention with this book is that its sections about homosexuality quote research from three or more decades ago and read like pejorative propaganda from the Third Reich. It describes the gay community as sad, lonely sadomasochists that struggle to maintain stable relationships. It describes a community I don't recognise and which doesn't reflect contemporary studies at all.
on 30 October 2013
Good overview of symptoms. Slightly wordy, but good overall explanations and clinical examples. A must text book for any psychiatry trainee.
on 28 October 2013
This is a very interesting. Book and is assisting me with my essay, I can't stop reading it it is great
on 10 May 2015
A must have for any psychiatrist
on 30 October 2009
book was in excellent condition;can't remmeber how long it took to reach me but that was not a concern.very prompt service from Amazon as usual...my number one choice!!