on 3 January 2014
The best of the many books I have read about this period. The author gives a lot of fascinating detail about the political situation and possible motivations of those involved. Written in a very accessible way, but obviously extremely well researched.
on 21 September 2016
Best book I have read on the Tudors , now enjoying her other books. :))
on 21 June 2017
excellent
on 2 May 2017
When studying history at University, I often found it frustrating that texts we used were so similar to one another and, without meaning to sound harsh, could often be dull. They often stated black and white facts with room for little else, and as such never gave you a real feel for what actually happened. Leanda de Lisle writes this book so beautifully, though, that it colours in every second of Tudor history in a way which makes you feel as though you are mingling in the courts amongst them.

The authors clear passion for this infamous period of British history comes across on every page and makes it impossible not to want to delve further. It is clearly researched to the most minute detail, and the fact it contains many often overlooked moment, characters and prologue just helps to add to the depth of the story. That is also a key factor of what makes this book stand out from the rest. It is a story; it reads as a narrative which lurches as violently as the era itself from romance, to sex, to cold blooded murder and back again. Several times. It is thoroughly engaging and accessible whilst not sacrificing itself as a factual historical text.

It is written in a style which makes this an excellent book for anybody who wants to begin looking in to the Tudor period, whilst being researched and expressed in a depth which makes it captivating for those who already know their Anne Boleyn from their Anne of Cleves.
on 16 November 2013
Whilst much of the story of the Tudors was well known to me this book provides some fascinating insight and context to the period. would definitely recommend it to others.
on 1 December 2014
Excellent history of the Tudor family. Leanda De Lisle gives a detailed accounting of each of the Tudors making sure to include fascinating details. I had often wondered about the Flodden aftermath, when Catherine was responsible for the death of her brother in law, James V. She includes letters of condolence to James's widow, Margaret, Henry's sister. Her description of Mary and Henry's parting conversation as she left to become queen of France is so vivid, you can picture it in your mind's eye. She has a sharp eye for details and sprinkles tidbits of information making the history become three dimensional and alive. This is entertaining history, a book to take time and savor while you read it.
on 25 August 2014
I've read plenty of books on the Tudors but this one still contained plenty of things I didn't know. Me de Lisle comes at the story from a different angle and offers a fresh perspective, debunking myths as she goes. As usual her writing style is clear and entertaining. I couldn't put this book down, highly recommend.
on 27 October 2013
Very well written historyof the Tudors....based on evidence, story flows along like a historical drama. Strongly recommended for history lovers.
on 27 September 2013
5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

WOW .. JUST WOW! I have to admit/proclaim right here and now that am completely fascinated with the Tudor Dynasty. Actually my fascination seems to spreading deeper and deeper into history. When I saw this book available for review I knew I immediately wanted to read it.

Tudor: The Family Story by Leandra de Lisle is a well written history book that spans just before the War of the Roses and ends with the death of the Tudor Dynasty (Elizabeth I to James I). There are complete illustrated charts to follow the family history (let's face it, it can all get very confusing with the repeat of royal names like Henry, Edward, Margaret, Elizabeth, Anne ... etc). Whenever a reference was to be made it was easily outlined with numbers/letters leading the reader to further investigate the source if they choose to.

Leanda de Lise goes about writing this book by approaching it like a huge fairytale (at least this is how I followed it as I do with most of the history I read), but never once leaving me to think it was unbelievable. While she states facts, she provides a vivid picture of dress, deportment, relationships, characters, politics and history that make it easy to follow. Never once was I ever confused reading this book and if you are familiar with medieval history, where the families married cousins and such,and many were addressed by titles that are used over an over again, it can be very confusing indeed.

I am not a historian, but an average woman who loves to read about the past of this world. I am not qualified to dissect this book and express what is right or wrong, pick at the details one by one, scorn, critique and/or debate truth. I am qualified however, to tell you it didn't put me to sleep in the way that many history books do. My attention was captured, I looked forward to my reading time and I felt I walked away once finished, with a little bit more understanding of that era. I am looking forward to reading not just more about this time in history, but to reading another book by this author.

If you are interested in a somewhat lengthy read about The War of the Roses, also known as the cousins war between the Lancaster's and York's, the mystery of the Prince's in the Tower, the fall of Richard III by Henry VII, the reign of Henry VIII and his six wives, England's separation from the church of Rome and the Reign of Edward V, Bloody Mary and the Virgin Queen Elizabeth I, READ THIS BOOK! It covers it all! :)

HAPPY READING! :)
33 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2013
Brilliant, really brilliant. I've read everything and anything on the Tudors and this is the best this year. Loved it, well written and well researched. A must buy for any Tudor fan.