Customer reviews

Lovers in the Age of Indifference
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 January 2010
They are a collection of brilliant works, each involving very different characters but all in some ways looking at love. Not always in the cosy way that we are used to. Guo looks at love through both rose tinted spectacles in some of her characters and the eyes and minds of hardened cynics in others. We have tales of holiday romance `Letters to a City of Illusion and Hope', tales of unrequited love `Today I Decide To Die', tales of affairs `Then the Game Begins' and tales of love that cannot be spoken `Into The Unknown' really Guo has covered the whole gambit and I haven't even mentioned them all. I should mention that everyone should read `An Internet Baby' which is only eight pages long but completely shocking.

Guo is an author who will use differing forms of writing in her books. In UFO in Her Eyes the book is written in case notes and transcript interview records and 20 Fragments of a Ravenous Youth is interspersed with images. In this book, more than in her previous books, Guo really goes to town with writing styles. Some as I mention are told through emails, some through letters, some simply in first or third person, one short story is told in time sequence another by alternate narrators, making it a heady experience for the reader. One tale that I think shows the brilliance of Guo and her writing is called `The Third Tree' and is told through thirty pages of text messages. Now when I saw this I didn't think it would work, however I got completely involved in the tale and even felt the emotional punch at the end. Utter genius. Again it's also a very insightful look at modern love in our society today now we have this technology.

Actually having said its all about love there is one story `Junk Mail' which I couldn't see linking to love, as its about those emails we all receive about having won millions, or getting a share in someone else's millions brilliantly told through emails. In fact `Beijing Morning Star' is about how we have to edit things in our lives and in this case in a paper in order to be PC and not offend. I would say that it's a book about modern times, modern people and modern emotions, yet the last tale Flower of Solitude reads like an old myth. I think maybe its best to simply describe it as a book of brilliance instead.
on 25 March 2015
A collection of really beautiful and individual stories, tied together in love and loneliness. I would recommend this to anyone looking for something to curl up with on a slow, cloudy Sunday
on 4 September 2013
Beautifully written, but depressing to read. I loved her book Chinese and English for Lovers. and wanted to read other work by this author.