on 6 October 2010
Firstly, let me say I am a HUGE Nigella fan. I've lusted over this book for ages. Something to treat myself to once the kitchen refurbishment had been completed. However, it was not clear that this is the US edition of Forever Summer. (I can only presume that Style Network is a US TV channel.)

It's very confusing. Baking temperatures are only listed in farenheit, e.g. 425F with no gas regulo. Besides talking about 'cilantro', 'corn syrup' and 'zucchinis', it's measurments require quite a bit of calculator action. For instance, tablespoons vary. A UK tablespoon holds 17.7ml while the US version holds 14.2 ml. so 2 UK tablespoons equals 3 US tablespoons and British pints differ to US pints, UK pint measures 20 fluid ounces while the US pint holds 16 fluid ounces. Phew, at least she doesn't use the term 'a stick of butter'! I just can't figure out how much that is.

I can't bear to throw a Nigella book away. I thought of donating it to a charity shop, but I'd hate to put someone off Nigella because they're confused by the US bias. So I'm keeping it to give to the next American I meet. Meanwhile I'll be buying a UK edition for next summer.

I just think it would be far more helpful if Amazon listed this as a US edition rather than 'Style Network's'.
33 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 August 2004
Quite simply, Nigella Lawson will enable you to gain a reputation amongst friends for being a brilliant cook. What your friends won't know is just how effortless it all is when you are in Nigella's capable hands. Her narrative is just as eulogistic as her other books, which means that recipes you would normally overlook end up being firm favourites, thanks to her powers of persuasion. As a stand alone read, this book is well written and colourful, even out of the kitchen. Don't be put off by the summery title, these are just foods that remind her of summer. Most of these dishes could be cooked or adapted to suit any time of the year. That's another good thing- she doesn't mind if you mess about with her recipes to make it suit your own taste. She often recommends alternatives and is very rarely bossy and only when she needs to be (twice I think). I tried the Chocolate Peanut Squares and used pecan nuts instead of peanuts. I also used dark and white chocolate instead of milk chocolate. Whatever I used, the plate was cleared and colleagues and family were begging for more. It's now a firm favourite and I can now pretty much rustle it up now without needing the book. I also tried the Braised Little Gem Lettuces and was amazed to find they taste like a nutty version of asparagus when cooked this way. The Pasta al Sugo Crudo tasted nothing like I expected Italian Tomato-ey pasta to taste. It was fresher, more fragrant and tasted much lighter than I would have imagined. If you, like me, think life doesn't get better than a gathering of friends and greedy portions of superb food and great conversation, then buy this book.
0Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 May 2013
Love Nigella's easy way and cooked loads from her other books, watched this series so wanted the book to back it up. I do have a lot of cook books and I was not disappointed with this one, slow roasted garlic and lemon chicken, mint julep peaches, heaven on a plate. yes there will be something you won't like , we don't like squid...husband is allergic to tuna but then there is loads we do like and I get fed up with comments that dismiss cook books. I don't know anyone that cooks everything out of every book. Great pictures and don't we all like to see what the dish should look like. I even took her Nigella express on self catering holiday, friends so converted to her easy manor and uncomplicated way, not to mention her caramel bourbon croissant pudding.... so much so that they were going to buy her book as well. as for the price , well you just can't go wrong...happy cooking just lets see some sun !
on 11 September 2016
Not quite my style. After watching some of the program I thought I would like the book. This is not the case for me, I will give it to some one who wuwillll enjoy it. The service and presentation is very good, it is not a criticism of Nigella or her food, just notfor me.
on 24 June 2017
Bought as a present for a friend so I can't really comment on this .
on 10 November 2013
this book is the quintessential cookery book, I've had it for years its the rock that i turn to when stuck in a culinary rut, her writing technique is pleasant and well read, i think that her recipes are simple to follow yet complex enough to leave your guests amazed. "well recommended a must for any foodie"
on 9 March 2016
Cracking book - some brilliant recipes
on 6 August 2015
Some of the recipes are quick and easy to put together, particularly the salads, but others are a bit more elaborate and not quite as tasty as I would have predicted. One unexpected little gem is the watermelon, feta and olive salad with mint and lime, which is fabulous and we eat it all the time!
on 9 December 2015
Scrum my recipes which are easy to follow.
on 7 October 2016