#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 20 May 2012
As an avid home cook borderline frustrated chef I love a good cook book! I don't just buy them and have a great line up just for show in the kitchen either, (You know, like people who have a lovely guitar on a display stand but can't strum a single chord!), I like cookery books I can actually use. This is definitely one of those books.

Nigella writes here as though she is actually with you (nice thought!) it is her talking you through the preperation and cooking techniques in good old plain english. There are no lovely foodie pics in here but passionate descriptions as only Nigella can let roll off her tongue. She's not afraid of food either, plenty of butter, cream, cheeese to go around and she likes a beer according to some of the recipies, good stuff indeed. Put it this way. . .out of 474 pages there is a section called Low Fat of some 37-ish pages! My kind of food :)

There's something for everyone, covering all the seasons and mealtimes- breakfast, lunch and dinner (tea oop north!) and supper, snacks and anything inbetween as there always is in our house! We eat meals between meals without ruining our appetites!

I love the wording of the meals such as "Camp, but only slightly, dinner for 6" or "Summer dinner with Wintery possibilites for 8", brilliant! I know a few lads for the camp option. Oof!

Some dishes I like personally that have gone down well would be. . .

Lemon ice cream (no fancy pants ice cream maker required)
Proust's Madeleines (you'll need Madeleine tins of course)
Sunday night chicken noodle

She covers all the basics too, such as making stock and salad dressings, flavouring oil, making mayonnaise, custard and of course there is a basic white loaf recipie at the beginning. Near the back there are recipies for children and babies so she's covered more or less most peoples wants.

So, this is a great book, not a recipie book but more of a manual guiding you with little hints and tips along the way. Not just just giving you a list of ingredients and letting you find your own way around.

Here you have Nigella showing you the ropes! Ooer!
6 people found this helpful
on 15 June 2017
Much favourite cook book, bought 2 one for each of our sons who are off to uni this year! They were disappointed as there are no pictures (what do they know anyway). I love this book the recipient are foolproof, delicious and I love the way Nigella writes with such enthusiasm. I love the fact that she does whole menu suggestions. I love love love this book. ❤️❤️❤️
2 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2018
Very good. Not written in style of a recipe book but lots of other interesting material as well. Still working my way through it, although using index its easy to hop in and out of for specific recipes.
One person found this helpful
on 15 October 2011
This is an interesting cookbook. It reads more like a novel - or, perhaps more accurately, an autobiography - than a cookbook, and I have found myself reading it in bed at night, just for the pleasure of reading it, than I have actually used it in the kitchen! That said, it's very useful. It has sections on what Nigella considers to be the basics of cooking; on cooking for one and two people, for entertaining, cooking for babies and little children, and so on. I use it more for ideas and inspiration than I do for hard and fast reference, but it's an excellently educative book about food.
on 6 May 2014
It is a few years since I bought this book. In that time it has been well used with lots of good recipes, and some unusual suggestions - like using full fat coke for the ham. It really works! The book I also a good read - I love her tongue in cheek humour - it is not a 'list of ingredients followed by method' type of book.
on 8 February 2017
Love this book, a lot of people find the title patronizing but I think it's very smart! It is an education in eating brilliant meals for all occasion. I will always reach for this book when hosting, nigella at her best, solid well written recipes.
on 26 January 2017
I would have liked glossy photo's in this book, being a very visually motivated person however while reading through, I can 'hear' Nigella speaking to me, this is another exciting addition to my collection. Nigella you have an open invitation to be my guest & stay with me when you decide to visit Australia & all your fans 😍
on 18 July 2017
Great book, a staple of any good british kitchen, excellent quality.
on 22 September 2017
Bought as a present. They liked it. So I guess its good.
on 14 February 2017
It's been around a while but is for us easily the best Nigella book.