Customer reviews

on 13 July 2017
bought to replace a damaged school copy.
VINE VOICEon 4 September 2007
Gilbert is best friends with Raymond and then one day Raymond is gone and Gilbert sad. It's a simple story with friendly clear pictures which will strike a chord for many small children who lose a friend for one reason or another. There's a lot of wisdom in this book beyond the obvious "There are plenty more fish in the sea" and there's also nuggets of wry humour scattered throughout. I particularly like Gilbert and his Mum's trip to the Wreck for a treat although they don't usually eat junk food. At the end Gilbert makes a new friend, Rita, and although he'll never forget Raymond he's happy again. Perfect! If you like this, try The Lonely Wasp by Churchill and the same illustrator.
on 2 November 2006
In this gentle book, Gilbert the Great White Shark loses his best friend, Raymond the Remora. Children will identify with Gilbert's pain and, if they have lost a best friend too, will find the story's happy ending helpful and encouraging. Although the story deals with a serious subject, there is wit and humour in both text and pictures. My son, Robin, particularly liked the jokes in the text, eg: "It's my fault Raymond's gone," Gilbert snapped as they passed an eel. "Last week I called him a sucker!" The illustrations are beautiful, complement the text well and have plenty of variety. Robin enjoyed looking for little details in the pictures. He describes the book as "excellent".
on 23 October 2013
My 4 year old absolutely loves this and likes to have it read to him every single night. Personally I find the theme a little dark and depressing but I imagine it would be very useful and comforting in a situation where a child is dealing with loss. However, the underlying message seems lost on my little one - he just thinks it's a great story & loves Gilbert. He can now 'read' it from memory - every single word! Brilliant book - but be warned your child may become addicted!
on 24 March 2010
My 3 yr old fell in love with this book and asks me to read it again and again. It's got a sad theme of loss (Gilbert wakes up and his best friend has 'gone') in it which is dealt with well and some good jokes/puns for older kids. I like the illustrations too. It's also encouraged my daughter to love sharks which is no bad thing!
on 29 October 2006
This is a sensitive and unsentimental look at loss. It is a simple story told easily and accessibly; the wonderful illustrations are coupled with perfectly pitched words. This is a book for any child who has ever lost a friend and any adult who is ever lost for words.
on 30 July 2015
This is a great book about dealing with loss. It follows Gilbert when he loses his best friend and how it makes him feel. His mum and friends are there all the way through to help him through it. The book has a happy ending even though the friend is not forgotten. The book also has some clever puns and as an adult I don't bet bored of reading this book. My daughter loves this book and she is getting Gilbert in the Deep for her birthday.
on 8 May 2012
The Gilbert books are quite quirky - but I like that. My 3 year old grandson loves them. I think I know this one off by heart now! It's an excellent book!
on 1 July 2012
Have read this to her so many time I have it off by heart. My grandaughter loves it - waiting for the time when she can read it herself!
on 12 March 2013
The book is ab beautiful and my 3 year old grandson carries it around with him all the time. Lovely story and fantastic illustrations. We live in Australia and great white sharks are v topical.......................!