Customer reviews

Format: Board book|Change

on 12 June 2017
Love reading this to my toddler. Have bought many times as present.
on 14 December 2015
Very sweet little book for the hippo lover, quick delivery
on 30 January 2006
This is a wonderfully simple story about a lonely Hippo sitting at home who is visited by a number of other Hippos. They have a party (Go Berserk) and then the Hippos leave in the same groups as they arrived in leaving the first Hippo all alone again (and missing the other 44 Hippos).
The book is nicely illustrated. It is supported by a simple narrative written in rhyming couplets with a nice rhythm, which makes it good for reading aloud. The book incorporates counting as the Hippos arrive in groups of increasing size (i.e. 2, 3, 4, …, 9) and leave in groups of descending size (9, …, 2).
Great fun. Recommended.
on 28 August 2001
From the dedication to the author's parents at the beginning ("I didn't invite them - did you invite them?") to the last page, I found this book absolutely captivating. It took a little longer to interest my 19-month-old daughter, perhaps because the colours are sometimes quite muted, but now she loves it too. It would be tempting to think that a counting book which focuses solely on counting hippos might get a bit tedious, but Sandra Boynton's humorous illustrations make each set of hippos a completely new experience. The premise is also a winner for anyone who has ever been a teenager - you invite two people round and suddenly you have a wild party on your hands. The rhyming text flows beautifully from one page to the next as forty-four hippos arrive, wreck the house and leave the next morning. A further guest in the shape of a (very cute) beast provides a game of 'spot the non-hippo'. "Bee!" says my daughter, who has not quite got round to putting the ends on words. This book is a huge favourite with my family and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.
Without question this is one of the best "counting" books for pre-schoolers on the market. The pictures are great, the text has enough extras other than just the numbers to make it interesting and the guest is a real bonus.

In simple language: buy this books for your kids - its a classic.
VINE VOICEon 30 January 2003
Among Boynton's best, this is one of my daughter's favourites.
The story, a simple tale of hippos arriving for a party, stands up well on its own, but really comes alive with the neat rhymes and great illustrations we've come to expect from Sandra Boynton.
Plenty to look at and share with your young one but also an added bonus of introducing counting in a natural and fun way!
on 2 March 2009
We were given this book for our son and have been reading it to him since he was about 6 months old. He likes it even though he is still a bit too young to appreciate the counting aspect, but the pictures are cleverly drawn and we enjoy building up to the party and then counting backwards as all the hippos head home. It is easy and fun to read and we like pointing out little things in the pictures that he might relate to ("There's a balloon" or "They're eating"). I love Sandra Boynton and recommend this one for great illustrations and fun with counting.
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2002
The first Boynton we bought and still the favourite and best! A great but simple story with lovely rhymes and rhythm. The illustrations are top notch with plenty of detail to ask questions about. Subtly educational and just a lot of fun!
on 14 February 2013
Bought this for my daughter - she's 13 months old and absolutely loves having this book read to her. The illustrations are wonderful, the story amusing (quite important for the sanity of the parent who has to read it over and over again - I have to admit, I now know it off by heart), and she especially likes the page where the hippos are partying away. I've also bought copies for friends' children, and they love it too - highly recommended.
on 26 October 2016
This is a simple but a great little book.
I have read it to my son so many times, I know the words and what is on each page off by heart.
The drawings are simple to look at without overloading a child visually.
I bought a second copy to keep as the first is beginning to look tatty it is read so much.
Which to me says how good a child finds a book.