on 27 May 2017
I love this. Remember reading it when I was 9 in 1970. I have got the film, and I have read the book many years ago! To my surprise, the story is darker and fuller in this version then the one I read, and this makes it all the more interesting, One actually gets to read about the lands surrounding Oz, which is a bonus.

If there is a moral in the story, it should be that good will triumph over evil. The other thing, is that when everybody helps one another, they will get repaid in some way.

It should be noted that the first edition was written in the year 1900, and this is a brave attempt by Mr Baum to write about Fantasy. By all the laws he has succeeded, particularly as it gets increasingly clear that Oz is not what he appears to be. Perhaps another warning of the story is "Don't believe all you hear". However, both film and book are timeless classics, This takes pride of place on my bookshelf. I am a collector!
on 12 August 2017
The page with the emerald city is marvellous and very well done. The whole book is incredible and the art style reminds me more of the original books. Luckily this book is catered more towards children and it has a great pace. I bought this as a present for my young daughter and she loved it. The intricate details and the way it all moves and connects is incredible. Endless fun can be had opening and closing the book and admiring the complexity of the 3D components. The story is split up evenly into little bits and pieces on each page and some of the text requires the reader to open up little sections. A lot of fun to be had here and it is among the best 3D books I have ever seen.
on 6 May 2014
When I was a kid I loved the movie and I remember that I used to fight with my sister at Christmas, who always wanted to watch Peter Pan instead. I won, every time, I think. But that's a long time ago!

I have always been aware of the original Oz books but never quite got round to reading them until now, the first one anyway. It's difficult to review children's books. Only children should review them but as I'm a book reviewer I will do a small, quick one.

This is very different from the movie but in a good way. I found myself enjoying it just as much as I would if I were a kid again. Compared to the movie, there are notable differences including the amazing world of china and the hammerhead people and a few gory bits that wouldn't have been included in the movie! Other bits appear from the film but in a different order and the tin man is the tin woodsman and the ruby slippers are silver shoes. Overall this is a fun read that I'm sure lots of adults would enjoy reading too. I did!

This is a proper children's book. There are a few morals and themes that come out of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, namely that by helping each other we can achieve more but also that we can achieve anything, if we just believe hard enough.

I want to go to Oz.

Puffin Chalk are a new addition to Puffin's Classics editions, with beautiful chalk designs on the covers by illustrator Mary Kate McDevitt. There are a few books in this series and all are lovely additions for your child's bookshelf. Small and light, they are the perfect size for small hands. The book has a lovely retro feel about it, with purposely jagged pages and beautiful front and back cover artwork. Although this edition is not a large, hardback, it will undoubtedly be more comfortable to hold and begs to be picked up and read. This new series in the Puffin Chalk range would make the ideal gift for a young reader (approx 7+ depending upon reading age) and I hope that Puffin will produce a boxed set in the near future.
on 20 September 2014
I’m sure there is nobody who hasn’t at least heard of the film of The Wizard of Oz, and most people have seen it. It was my first introduction to the land of Oz so I couldn’t help but compare the two. I do like the film, despite it’s cheesy-ness.

One thing I was surprised about was the lack of appearance of The Wicked Witch of the West in the book. Yes she is there, but she isn’t as much of a major character. The wizard himself is less likeable too, but more like the film version of himself.

I did like the story. Although I think if I didn’t know elements of the story so well I would have enjoyed it more. There’s a little note at the begginning about it being written for children’s pleasure rather than any moral lesson. It certainly is more fun than moral, however I do think there was a bit of a lesson, about how you can improve yourself, or how people change I suppose.
on 26 January 2018
This book is amazing. One of the most intricate and lovely books I've seen. It really is impressive. Robert Sabuda is a genius. I bought this for my son... Admittedly I think I'm more excited about it then he is (he's three). As the actual text is not really for little kids.
This works mate a wonderful present for anyone of a brilliant coffee table book. Looking forward to getting all his other books! Be warned though... Small children may easily destroy this book if left unsupervised!
I would think that the vast majority of us have seen the Hollywood film musical of this and quite a lot of us have read the book. If however you haven’t read the book before I should just mention that it isn’t exactly the same as the film, and there is no Judy Garland skipping and singing along a yellow brick road. Frank L Baum went on and wrote a lot more books in this series, but I will admit that although I have read this tale many times, I have never read any of the others.

When poor orphan Dorothy who lives with her aunt and uncle is swept away by a cyclone from Kansas, in the family home she is surprised to find herself in a strange and mystical land. With her dog Toto she sets out to find her way back to Kansas and her aunt and uncle. Of course it isn’t that simple and along the way she befriends a scarecrow who wants brains, a tin woodman who wants a heart, and a lion looking for courage. This group of four friends have to make their way to the Emerald City and seek the assistance of the Great Oz and hope that he can help them all. But instead of his assistance, they are sent out on a quest by him which must be completed before he will offer any help. Full of fun and adventure this still delights children, and even I as an adult still enjoy reading this. This is great to read with your child when they are still learning to read and it will keep them amused.

This kindle edition has all the original illustrations by William Wallace Denslow which are a joy to look at. Although I have read this before this is the first time that I have come across an edition with these original illustrations, which do add an extra dimension to your reading pleasure. Although obviously the illustrations do look best on a tablet device due to a colour screen, these do show up perfectly okay on a standard black and white kindle e-reader. There is an active table of contents here, so if you or your child do manage to lose where you are at you can find the chapter quite quickly again, and there is a short introduction which may be of some interest to adults. Some thought has gone into formatting this into an e-book. Each chapter has an illustration at the top of the page which incorporates the first word, but the publisher has also inserted this word into the text as standard, so if you have your font size quite large you are not going to end up with a page with one word on, and then have to go over to the next one to read the rest of the sentence.

This edition has been produced to a high quality by the publishers and is a treat and a real pleasure to read.
on 28 February 2016
This book is true plesure from start to finish, it had some of the best pop up art that I have ever seen in any other pop up books. It sticks to the original book narrative rather than the movie version (silver slippers rather than the ruby ones that are portrayed in the legendary movie ). If you have read the Baym book then you will know it can get very dark in some chapters & is not surprising that there was mass changes when MGM decided to turn it in to a lovable children's movie. The book has so many great pop up features like on the 1st page you turn & there is a tornado spinning in circles up the page to the melting motion of the Wicked Witch, the house that lands in the Munchkin town (you can even see the other Wicked Witches legs sticking out,the Emerald City is magnificent and the Wizards balloon raising up straight in front of you. There is much more to this highly recommendable book than I can write down on this review but if you are into The Wizard of Oz then this is a must have book for your collection. *****
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 April 2016
One star because disappointed that Amazon has mixed up customer reviews. The main review under this listing shows colourful illustrations that have no relation to this book! The illustrations in this book (Sterling Children's Classics) are few and far between, are black and white and rather uninspiring, adding nothing to a child's reading experience, e.g. picture of toto on his own, picture of the scarecrow on his own,,,,I think you get the picture (no pun intended). Extremely difficult to keep my 4 year-old's interest and she currently eats sleeps and breathes the Wizard of Oz!
on 4 January 2018
Whoever doesn't know the story of Dorothy and Toto should very quickly rectify that!

Its actually the first time that I have ever read the book, i'm afraid I have only watched the film and i'm shocked that the ruby slippers are not ruby slippers! If you can get your head around that massive wardrobe detail its a charming, simple, heart warming book that tells you all is ok in the world.

I cannot wait to read this with my little girl when shes old enough.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse