Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Morrissey Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

The Tripods Trilogy
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 28 March 2017
First read the Tripods many years ago. Still love the trilogy. Never read the fourth book before. It adds a fascinating new aspect to the saga. A very welcome addition to the collection.
on 13 June 2016
Excellent books for any age, I'm now later 30's and really enjoyed them. I'd read the first book as a teenager, and it was good to read the conclusion. Passed onto my teenager son to read.
on 29 May 2017
Brilliant books. Wasn't expecting them to be the US edition (annoying spellings) probably me not reading the description though!
on 16 July 2002
I bought this for my 10 year old (a slightly reluctant reader) because it looked exciting. He became so engrossed that I was curious to read it myself and I read pretty well got thru the whole thing over a weekend. I wish I'd had it when I was kid! The plot moves so fast and the characters are so well drawn that it'll grab the attention of even the worst TV addicted kid. I've even donated a copy to his form teacher. Well done John Christopher!
on 31 August 2014
This set took me back to my younger days. I loved this series and was delighted to see it reissued. As good as I remember it, with adventure and courage, coming of age and a nod to War of the Worlds and the older Sci-fi books. Cleverly written with a world which is obviously Earth but could be near or far future, or even an alternate now. Medieval future, dystopian and dark but with hope and the battle of the human spirit. The ending is especially well done.

Recommended for young sci-fi fans and those wanting to find a simple, yet complex group of stories who are ypung at heart.
on 6 July 2015
An awesome read. I actually discovered The Tripods by inadvertently 'watching' the first two books (1980s BBC series), so was eager to see how the story ended. I couldn't put the final two books down and sadly polished-them off in two days. The set would be a great holiday read for both children and adults alike. When Disney finally pull their finger out and make a trilogy of films, this has the potential to be one of the greatest series of all time. A brilliant story. Thank you John Christopher.
on 26 July 2013
My all time favorite book and TV series.

If you really want to get to know The Tripods more check out "The League of Freemen" a Tripod based fan site on Yahoo Groups. The cast, crew, and producer get together and meet in England & Germany almost yearly and there is a wealth of information including GPS coordinates so you can see every filming location as if you were actually there. You can find The Tripod meetings on You Tube.

Also on You Tube you will find a channel called FritzEger which is actually Robin Hayter who played Fritz in Series 2 and he has Tripod and meeting videos there too.

Finally do not forgot to check out The Tripods DVD on Amazon here containing bonus material and the entire Series 1 & 2.

If you are a fan of The Tripods this DVD is a must for you and if you like adventure with a little science fiction thrown in then this is for you and I hope you enjoy the information I have included for you to explore this series more.
on 23 August 2001
I read this trilogy as a 9-year old and have given it to countless other children of the same age, all of whom have loved it as much as I have. The most thrilling and credible of all "alien invasion" novels, this tells how the narrator, Will, his cousin Henry and their French frend Beanpole escape "capping" by the tripods, the terrifying metal monsters whom adults adore. They journey to the White Mountains, an experience which strengthens their relationship, and are helped by the hand grenades they discover in an abandoned Metro station. In Book 2, Will and Fritz, a tacitrun German boy successfully enter a kind of Lympic games to become slaves in the tripod's city - a humid place whose heavy gravity and exhausting work means that humans are prematurely aged and die after two years. Will makes a vital discovery, and escapes but fears the Fritz, whom he initially hated but whose heroism gradually becomes clear, is left behind to die. The third book tells of how the tripods are at last defeated. What is marvellous about these novels is the way they are written. Christopher's taut yet poetic style perfectly conveys the atmosphere of each scene, from the ruined, medieval life of the hero's home to the terrifyingly oppressive alien city. The boys' internal life and feelings are equally vivid.
BUT - why are these the only John Christopher novels in print? Why hasn't his superb novel The Guardian been reprinted (especially as it won The Guardian prize, in the days when that still meant something)? Why isn't The Lotus Caves, about two boys who find a marvellous plant under the surface of the Moon is print? Some publisher is missing a trick here.
on 12 April 2017
This was bought for a friend so I can't really comment
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2003
I discovered the Tripods trilogy when I was about 9 years old and found it completely entrancing. A convincing and breathlessly exciting story, it builds up a self-consistent alternative world with just enough detail to describe a catastrophe on a global scale, and the desperate struggle of a handful of rebels to secure victory. Combined with strong believable characters, this is a tremendous example of sustained imagination and power in children's literature. Now, as an adult re-reading the three books for my own children, I still find the story moving and psychologically coherent. Of course as an adult one is much more more critical and aware of the weaknesses in the books, but I say that there is none to match it for vision, power, insight and imagination.