Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2000
I got this book because there was so little out there for pregnant Dads. Unfortunately, I found it disappointing. I found the format of little bullets of advice disorganized. It was also overly focused on how to make the Mom feel better. While this is admittedly important, Dads need a book that deals with their own feelings and expectations. In addition, it is not so suitable for couples living outside the US. On the other hand, some of its stories are quite amusing, and may give you an idea or two.
on 17 July 1999
She's Having a Baby is an excellent book for both fathers and mothers-to-be. It is funny and accurately captures the many thoughts and emotions that couples tend to experience during their pregnancy. I laughed out loud many times as I read the book. I knew exactly what Mr. Barron was talking about more times than I would like to admit. From a father's viewpoint, my two favorite pregancy books are this one and a book called We're Pregnant! - written by an expectant mother and father and also very candid, funny and true-to-life.
on 19 January 1999
Child Magazine awarded this book "Best Parenting Books of l998." "This light-hearted book targets the husband's role (both real and assumed) during his wife's pregnancy. From conquering insurance paperwork to understanding what goes on during a routine ob/gyn visit to no-nonsense behavior during delivery, the author handles a wealth of material with more than a little laugh-out-loud wisdom."
on 30 June 1999
This is a great book for new fathers. His writing style is truly remarkable. Mr. Barron's advice is nothing to take lightly and all soon-to-be fathers should take heed to his insights and warnings. Don't forget to check out his second book about after the baby is born, just as wonderful as this one!
on 26 May 2015
My wife bought this for me after reading good reviews and because of recommendations, unfortunately I really didn't enjoy it.

There are a few bits of good advice (although mostly it is just common sense) but this is interspersed with anecdotes that aren't really relevant, ideas that are outdated and lots of experiences that people outside of the USA aren't going to be able to relate to.

I don't doubt that in the USA some fathers did / do find it useful, so for this market (for which it was written) it may hit the mark, but living in the UK where pregnancy isn't so medicalised it just didn't make sense. There were comments about 'if you wife wanted a midwife' as though that is unusual and also about they 'may have a scan' which is now common practise, not to mention parts about buying a 'beeper' and constantly referring to medical bills and insurance.

The book was written in 1998 and it shows. I think there were also parts that refer to things that are not medically recommended any more, it really needs to be updated.

If you aren't American and living in 1998 I would probably avoid this book.
on 27 June 1998
Fathers need to know that while they can't get pregnant, they can certainly share in the process from the very beginning...past conception. Mr. Barron has written a sensitive, humorous and useful book for expectant fathers. I will recommend it to our clients. In fact, I already have! Good work Mr. Barron.
on 4 August 2013
I bought this for my other half as he didn't like the baby book my friend bought me. It is true to form - just a man's opinion of his thoughts through pregnancy but you could probably get all this info online.
on 6 January 2012
This book was given to my husband when we were expecting out first baby. It was so funny that it has now become standard for us to give this book as a present to other expectant daddys!
on 7 July 2016
Bought as inspiration and some support for the hubby on our first baby