on 4 May 2003
This book hits the spot! It was a wonderful idea to make a sister version and a brother version of the same book. It's so nice that there are talented authors and illustrators that know just how to communicate to a young child a new concept in such an appropriate, positive way. I found it helpful to introduce this book before the new baby arrives. I like how it plays up the fact that the baby can't do many things that the big sister can do. And it sets the tone that the new little person needs quite a bit of attention (help). I am a preschool teacher and when one of my students is about to become the big sister, I always recommend 2 books--"I'm a Big Sister" to read with the child and "The Pocket Parent" as a handy quick-read reference of sanity saving suggestions for Mommy and Daddy. "Pocket Parent" is literally pocket-sized and loaded with hundreds of helpful tips exclusively written for parents of 2's, 3's, 4's, and 5's. This A-Z guide has a number of pertinent chapters to this topic including: the new baby, bad words, bedtime, biting, sibling rivalry, "I hate you", the "gimmes", interrupting, lying, self-esteem, and separation anxiety. There are many issues that can arise when a new baby comes into the family with a preschooler. Both of these books help to relieve a child's and parent's anxiety and frustration with the changes in behavior and routine that are bound to happen. Both books are invaluable comforting "friends" to be consulted and reread at a moment's notice.
0Comment| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 1999
My 18 month old daughter and I read this book together several times each day during my last month of pregnancy. For a few weeks it was her favourite story. She loved it and would even make crying baby noises on the appropriate page. I think it helped prepare her for the arrival of her sibling and now she is a wonderful "big sister" and aware her brother is "too little to talk, too little to walk" etc. My only complaint about this book is the assumption that the baby will be bottle fed rather than breast fed.
22 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 1999
Given the importance of the topic, this book could have (and should have) been better. Instead, it's curiously bland, with a "flatness" of language and/or mood that's hard to pin down. It also assumes that newborns are routinely bottle-fed. So parents-to-be looking for books to help young ones understand why they can't nurse--but the new baby can--won't find any help here.
on 4 September 2008
Have just bought this book as a gift for my friend's little girl as there is a new baby brother in the house. If I had seen this book in the shop I wouldn't have bought it as it is very American. Words like 'Mommy and diapers' and an assumption that all kids eat is pizza!

I'm sure children like the book and enjoy the pictures but I would feel the need to change at least one word on every page whilst reading the story to them. I'm thinking of returning the book as I'm concerned my friend will think I've bought something that isn't appropriate.
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2010
I bought this for my 2 year old in advance of our new arrival. I wanted something which focuses more on her relationship to the new child- as everything else we have been given to date is focused on unrealistic expectations of a fun new playmate or with tough messages about time away from her parents and their undivided attention.

I must say, the first time I read this book- I burst into tears. It is so moving! I think the last page has it just perfect - that she is special to her parents regardless of who else joins the family. I also think that it treads the fine line between babies being undeniably hard work, and the joys of her role as a big sister. It is the latter that makes this book unique...like many children, she is always happier when she knows she is involved and has a role.

Unlike some of the reviewers, I don't have a problem switching Mommy for Mamma, and diapers for nappy. It really would be a shame to let that impact the overall positvitiy of the story. I was a bit worried when I read the other reviews saying there was an overly great emphasis on eating pizza as being the trade-off for being bigger, but having read the book, the context is that the bigger child can do lots of fun things, like talking and playing, and swinging as well as eating pizza/icecream. I think it gives a good opportunity to discuss with the older child all the things they enjoy doing which the baby can't.

If I had to say anything constructive at all about the book- I dont think I noticed the visuals as being anything more than basic drawings and washed out water colours. But the rest of the text makes up for it more than adequately. Recommend it with no hesitations whatsoever
on 30 May 2015
This book is small and very simplistic and not as touching as I'd hoped it would be. I was also very disappointed with the fact that the baby is bottle fed. It is so hard to find books with breastfeeding in them and very infuriating that a book about a baby just days old still does not feature breastfeeding. I personally think it's important to show children where human babies milk comes from and for that reason I am going to draw my own picture for that page and stick it in. I want my daughter and future baby to be able to relate to this book... why couldn't the book include both bottle and breast so all children can relate? Very bottle-biased as another reviewer has written (wish I had read that before buying!). Another gripe is that it is americanised with american spelling and words... diaper, mommy... had I known this I think I would have reconsidered the purchase. This book had the potential for being lovely and the illustrations are very sweet (which has earned the book one star) but the story is quite bland and uninteresting. I thankfully have time to make my own book which I am now going to do.
review image review image
on 23 October 2010
Easy to understand for a toddler, easy to change the american words and makes your child feel special and important despite the impendng arrival. My little girl is two and a half and wanted this read to her time and again. Her baby sister is now here and she adores her!
on 16 February 2016
I bought this book when I got pregnant with my second baby. My first child is nearly 2 yrs old at the time and I read her the story every night and eventually she started reading the story back to me! She loves the book and we even included it as a prop in our newborn photoshoot! Note that the covers are hardback but the inside pages are not! If the age gap is any smaller, a complete hardback board book would have been better. In our case the inside pages are a bit crumpled but no damage has incurred. I have now passed it to a friend who is expecting her second child.
on 2 February 2016
My daughter is 3 and I am expecting my 2nd child. Although she is excited about having a brother/sister she started getting worried and displaying bad behaviour as a result. When we got to the bottom of her lashing out and she told us she was worried about it and me (knowing baby is inside mummy but not understanding how baby comes out) I bought this book for her. And it has helped majorly, she is calmer now and once again looking forward to our new arrival. She loves it and loves looking at it i think it makes her feel better about the whole big sister roll.
on 8 January 2006
I read this to my daughter before our son was born and she loved it. It really helped her understand why the baby would cry and for the first few days he was home she would say he was trying to tell us something when he cried. She even quotes from it now, and he is 4 months old. So it really had a lasting impression on her. Yes it does assume all babies are bottle fed, but this is fine as it doesn't even occur to children to question it and since the vast majority of children are bottle fed this is fine I think.