Customer reviews

on 31 August 2002
As a chef working in the UK I have found American cookbooks sometimes difficult to use as they do not always translate too well in terms of ingredients. This book was a revelation and a joy to use. The recipe,s work, the test kitchen notes are detailed and clear giving in some cases altrnative names familiar to the uk cook. This book provides not only the how but the why.Some of the techniques and extreme temperatures take a little practice, the black roux I had to work at but the results were well worth the effort.All American cook books should be written this way.Read,cook,eat, enjoy from a book written from skill and passion.
on 5 August 1998
This is a wonderful Louisiana cookbook. I even read the *intro*! Many other "cajun" or Acadian cookbooks are very stingy with their secrets. Not Chef P! All is revealed; my Crawfish Ettouffe' was nearly identical to that I had in New Orleans. Bravo and thank you, Chef Paul!!!!
on 9 May 2013
The content of the book is excellent and all the Techniques are there for all the recipes. Downside is that, being American, measurements are in Cups etc, and the Temperatures are in F and not C. (You may want to produce a small excel check sheet, like I have, and attach it to the rear of the book in the Notes Section for quick reference.) Also some of the terminology is a little strange, but there is always Google just in case you need assistance.
on 15 June 1998
This is one cookbook that you won't want to borrow out to any of your friends, or if you do, plan on a trip to the bookstore to buy another copy for yourself. Everyone loves this cookbook! Chef Paul's clear directions make cooking spectacular dishes a snap. Everything I've tried has come out well and delicious (including the pralines!). My favorites are: Shrimp Diane, Cajun Meatloaf, Cajun Chicken Curry, Chicken and Seafood Jambalaya with Creole Sauce, Pralines and Chocolate Mousse.
on 28 September 1997
I grew up in Louisiana and moved to Australia as an adult. Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen came with me. Recipes from the book are on our menu weekly and many of our Australian friends rave about the exquisite food. The detail to which Chef Prudhomme takes his recipes ensures perfection every time. When I return to Louisiana in December, 1997, I'll be looking for more cookbooks by the master, Chef Paul Prudhomme.
on 9 October 2014
The original Cajun cook. I consider this to be the bible for anyone wishing to create the tastes of New Orleans at home. Some of the ingredients can be difficult to source in the UK but the majority of the recipes can be made using local fresh produce.
It is interesting to see the Southern French roots in many of the dishes, and many similar recipes can be found in Basque cookbooks.
on 13 January 2016
I used to live in Louisiana, so was well acquainted with this chef's work, and what he brought to Louisiana cuisine. Even if you never tried a recipe, they are great fun to read through
on 25 May 1999
I found Paul's book to be the answer to a lot of culinary questions. Every receipe I try in this book, turns out fantastic and very tasty. I was looking for another famous Cajun cook's book, the bookstore was sold out, so I picked up Paul's book instead, now I am in love with his culinary talents. I use this book at least twice a week.
on 1 February 1998
I have owned this book since it was first printed., and it is the most frequently used cookbook I own. The seafood gumbo recipe will set you free!
on 5 February 2014
Only tried a few recipes so far but great and more stock recipes than you'll know what to do with . Big helpings tho, perhaps unsurprisingly.